Chapter 7

2 days, Vylad, Dante, Laurence, and Travis were in the car, making their way towards the hospital as Garroth kept tapping on his leg, feeling concerned and uneasy. Getting a call earlier that Zane was awake.

As they made it to the hospital, Garroth was impatient as he quickly gets in the elevator and presses the button for Zane's room floor, Travis, Dante, Vylad, and Laurence quickly following behind him and getting on. Garroth fidgets with his fingers, shaking as Laurence was the only one seeming to notice.

When the elevator doors open, Dante, Vylad, and Travis get off but Laurence takes Garroth off to the side, "Garroth, are you ok?" Laurence asks in concern, although it was obvious Garroth wasn't. Garroth shakes his head, "I'm just scared I guess..." Garroth says.

"Scared?" Laurence questions, Garroth nods, and sighs, "What if Zane doesn't want to see me...?" Garroth questions. "Why wouldn't he want to see you?" Laurence asks, raising his hand to caress Garroth's cheek, "I was one of the reasons for Zane's wanted to die, what if I still am?" Garroth cried, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Laurence frowns and wipes away Garroth tears, and stands on his toes, giving Garroth a quick kiss on the lips. "Garroth, nobody is perfect. Sometimes they hurt people without realizing it. But, when they realize their mistake and try to improve themselves, that's all that matters. You might've not been the best brother in the past, but you're improving. Zane can't blame you for getting better."

Garroth nods, feeling better at Laurence's words as he gives a quick on Laurence and grabs his hand. "Still wanna take a few minutes or are you ready to see Zane?" Laurence asks, still a concern for Garroth as he could feel Garroth still shaking hands. Garroth takes a deep breath and exhales, "I'm fine, let's go,".

Laurence nods and lets go of Garroth's hand, in case Travis or Dante would see as they turn and walked down the hall to Zane's room, seeing Dante, Vylad, and Travis waiting outside, seeming anxious. Garroth gives them a reassuring look as he grabs the door hand, mentally preparing himself before opening the door.

Garroth froze by the doorway, seeing his raven hair brother sitting up from his bed, staring out the window, into space. Zane turns towards his brother, hearing him walking in as he forces a small smile at Garroth who had a surprised expression.

Garroth notices Zane smile, but Zane's eyes say something different, his eyes were clouded with depression, while his smile was covered in lies. Tears start forming in Garroth eyes as he runs over to Zane, pulling him in a tight hug. Zane hugs back, his wrist still stinging in pain, but it's just a sign he's alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After about 30 minutes, everyone came to visit Zane. Aphmau and Aaron bringing some food and sweets, knowing hospital food isn't great. While everyone kept asking questions, Zane refused to answers and stays silent the whole time.

"Zane, we're just trying to understand what's happening to you. But, we can't be able to do so if you want to talk," Aphmau plead, growing more and more concern for Zane, seeing how broken he is. Zane opens his mouth, but closes it again, turning his gaze away from Aphmau and looks back out the window. Everyone sighs in disappointment and a few in frustration, there was then a soft knock at the door before it open, letting out a creaking noise as Dr.Elizbeth walked in.

Dr.Elizbeth smiled sweetly at Zane as she held a clipboard, "Hello Zane, how are you today?" she asks with a gentle voice. Zane just nods his head and gives her a small smile, "Alright, is there any pain or any muscles soreness?" Elizabeth asks, Zane shakes his head in response as she writes it down on the paper attached to the clipboard. "Excuse me?" Katelyn asks as she stands up from his chair, walking towards Dr.Elizbeth, "Umm, Zane has been refusing to talk and we don't know if it's 'cause he doesn't want to or...?" Katelyn questions.

Dr.Elizbeth puts in a concerned expression, making everyone in the room uneasy and confused, "Yes, Zane seemed to have developed selective mutism," Dr.Elizbeth responds. "Selective mutism?" Lucinda repeats in a confused tone. "Yes. Selective mutism is mostly common in children, but adults can also develop the disorder. It's basically like an anxiety disorder, making the person unable to speak to specific people or situations. People with selective mutism are able to speak, but fear to," Dr.Elizbeth explains, everyone turns back to Zane but had his eyes glued to the window again, refusing to face anyone. "What causes selective mutism?" Aphmau questions.

"Well, it could be caused by either physical, mental, verbal, sexual abuse. Neglect or anything of trauma," those words hit Garroth like a brick, making him feel more guilty and putting more of the fault on himself. "Is there a cure or treatment?" Vylad asks. "Well, mainly people with mutism go to behavioral therapy. They try to help those with mustism to open up more, starting off very easy for them to be in their comfort zone until they slowly try to get in a good supporting friendship relationship with the patient for them to be more comfortable around to speak."

Everyone turns back to Zane, who had tears forming in his eyes as he gripped the thin hospital bed sheets. Aphmau slowly approaches Zane, pulling him in a tight embrace, Zane's eyes widen.

Instead of the warm, soft feeling that he would feel when hugging his best friend, her touch felt cold and rough, sending a chill up his spine. Zane's breathing became heavy, his heartbeat quicken as he felt like he was suffocating. His body trembled as tears streamed down his face, he slowly turns his head to face the sunkiss skin, raven hair, brown eyes girl.

But instead, meet the blood ruby eyes, gray pale skin, and dark brown haired werewolf. 

Zane quickly pushes Aphmau away with a horrified expression as Aphmau almost fell back. being caught by Aaron. Everyone watched in shock as Zane started sobbing hysterically, holding up his arms for defense as he scooted back on the bed until he hit the wall.

Garroth, Vylad, and Dr.Elizabeth tried calming him down but only seemed to make it worse. Garroth was hesitant, but sits beside Zane, wrapping his arm around him, "Zane, everything is alright..." Garroth tried to reassure.

Hearing Garroth's voice made Zane feel more relaxed as he felt Garroth's arm around him but continued to sob. Garroth turns to face everyone, singling them to leave the room. Everyone was hesitant but did so, walking out and closing the doors.

Zane hugs Garroth tightly, holding onto him for dear life, afraid that if he let go, Garroth would disappear. Garroth could feel Zane's intense shaking as he cried into his chest, Garroth felt sympathy as he runs his hand over Zane's hair, trying to calm him down.

After about 3 minutes, Zane stopped sobbing as his body stopped trembling but still clung onto Garroth. "I don't wanna get hurt..." Zane, softly whispers, sounding exhausted. Garroth's expression turns into confusion, "I don't want you to get hurt..." Zane adds, shortly followed by soft snoring.

Garroth signs as he rests Zane on the bed, pulling the covers over him as Zane curled up in the bed, his eyes and cheeks red from crying as dried tears stained his cheeks. Garroth's shirt having 2 wet stain patches as he stepped out of the room, seeing everyone waiting in the hall.

Everyone crowded around Garroth, asking questions, "Is he alright?" Lucina asks, Garroth nods, "He's alright..." Garroth froze, not knowing if he should mention what Zane had said, thinking it's something only meant for him to hear. "I think he just had a panic attack... He's asleep right now," Garroth adds. 

Garroth then looks around, noticing the doctor was gone, "Where did Dr.Elizbeth go?" he asks."She went to get Zane's medical papers," Katelyn responds, but speak of the angel, Dr.Elizbeth came back with the papers.

She walked up to Garroth, passing him the papers, "We prescribed Zane some pills to help him. These pills can be dangerous if Zane is feeling suicidal again, so please keep the pills in your care. We prescribe him with some anti-depression, anxiety, and sleeping pills. I do also recommend behavioral therapy. I wrote down the number and address of the place."

"Thank you so much for everything," Garroth says, smiling, "Also, I wanted to say, earlier in the morning, someone came to visit Zane," Dr.Elizabeth says. "Who?" Garroth asks, "I'm not sure, Zane was still unconscious at the time he came. He had short black hair, pale skin, and was wearing a flannel shirt." Dr.Elizabeth described.

Garroth couldn't think of anyone that fit her description, "Either way, Zane will be ready to leave tomorrow." Dr.Elizabeth says and walks away. Garroth walks back to everyone as a question repeats in his head.

Who hurt you...?