CHAPTER FOUR

HEARTBREAK IS A BATTLE WOUND, UNEXPECTED, FRIGHTENING, & HARD TO TREAT WHEN ALONE & AFRAID

~

⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀  ⠀— ᏟᎻᎪᏢᎢᎬᎡ ᏆᏆᏆᏆ ;;
⠀⠀⠀  ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ʟᴏɴɢ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ

⠀⠀⠀⠀The royal graveyard was all too familiar to Rivera. The towering headstones, the sent of lilies and poppies, the sound of raindrops hitting the pond, everything was familiar to her. As if she had just gone back in time to all of the other occasions she'd visited. And as winter turned to spring, the snow had melted, and the rain and sunshine declared the world alive again, yet no matter how many weeks had passed, Rivera couldn't get her father's murder out of her head.

It had been such a lovely day, just the right temperature for her, cool and crisp, and as the snow began to melt, Mother Nature seemed persistent, and there was a fresh, thin coat that spanned across Iqwrath. Despite this, and even with the snowflakes still shedding, Evelyn requested Rivera meet her at the gazebo. And so she did.

Evelyn wore a coat, and Rivera wore a coated cape, a hood that she refused to wear, allowing the snowflakes to fall into her curls and melt. The gazebo was beautiful, covered in flowers that seemed very alive despite the cold weather, it was a marvel to Rivera as she inched closer, Evelyn taking her hand as soon as she could. "River." She grinned as soon as she stepped into the gazebo, kissing her immediately.

Rumors that one of the princesses would propose seemed to flood the castle, and though both of the girl's parents were a bit weary about their daughters marrying each other, (more concerned about them having an heir than the fact that their two daughters were finally at peace), they seemed to be warming up to it. Evelyn's father, unknown to Rivera, even gave her a ring that belonged to her grandmother, one that he hadn't given to her mother, because he meant to give it to Joseph, her brother. But he now understood that that wasn't going to happen, Prince Joseph was actually the one who suggested giving the ring.

Evelyn had her hands wrapped around Rivera's waist, her hands cold enough to send a chill up her lover's spine. "Sorry for the wait, Lilith and I had a scuffle about messing up my hair." Rivera apologized, curling her already curly lock of hair around her pinky, "I told her if it really was that bad she could fix it when I returned."

"Oh I don't think she'll have time for that, in this cold I plan on warming you up as soon as we return." Evelyn flirted shamelessly, her smirk turning into a grin as Rivera blushed, kissing Evelyn again, her cheeks warm. "River, there is something I need to ask you." Evelyn finally said, placing a strong, yet delicate hand on Rivera's cheek. River. Only Evelyn called her River. Reminiscent of when they first met and Evelyn said her eyes reminded her of the sea, stating that she could 'happily get lost in them', it was after that that she began calling Rivera 'River.'