CHAPTER TWO

It is my first day at Paragon and I am so excited. I have been in love with this company since forever, and being posted there was one of the best things that has happened to me. I was expected to resume work at 9:00am, but due to my excitement I was up and ready by 7:00 am.

"Rukky!" I called out to my new roommate.

"Uhmm," she groaned.

"Don't you have lectures today?"

" I do but it is by 9:00 am"

"You might want to get up and start getting ready it is already 7:45am."

"Two more minutes," she muttered and pulled the duvet over her head.

I let out a chuckle and walked out. Rukky and I have been getting along well, she is a very nice and confident girl, full of life and energy. She is quite stubborn, but I guess she is just in that phase of life.

"Good morning Mum."

"Morning Nana. How was your night?"

"it was fine, thank you ma."

"Alhamdililah, come have breakfast before you rush out."

I walked to the table and helped myself to a plate of boiled yam and egg sauce with a steaming cup of coffee. I silently ate my food for about 15 minutes. I washed my plates after me and added a finishing touch to my outfit before I set to leave for work.

"I will be leaving now Mum, I will see you later," I smiled and made to walk out.

"Hold on young lady, how do you plan on getting to work?" she called out

"I will take the public transport."

"Public transport indeed, do you even know the way to your office. My friend will you sit down and wait for Bilal to drop you off. He works opposite your office and he will be your personal chauffeur."

"Mum, I am not her personal chauffeur." He replied as he walked into the house.

She completely ignored him and kept talking "He is at your service, just call him whenever you need a ride."

"Poor Bilal, only you will be a chauffeur, a houseboy, a mechanic and so much more. It is time you move into your house," he spoke to himself absently.

He picked up his keys and made to walk out of the house.

"Young man, where do you think you are going to without breakfast?"

"Mum we are running late," he complained

"That is still not an excuse not to eat. Come sit down it will only take about 10 minutes and you will be on your way."

After much complain he sat down and ate. By the time, he was done it was 8:15 and we set off for our journey to work. The car ride was very awkward because we were practically strangers. My faintest memory of him was when he used to bully me as a child and collect my candy whenever we were out of mum's sight. A sudden jolt pulled me out of my thoughts and I realized we were at the office, it was already 8:50, due to traffic, the supposed 15 minutes' journey took us 35 minutes. I muttered a quick thank you and briskly walked into the office.

A quick introduction and tour of the office was given to me by the receptionist before work was dumped on me. It was like they piled the work from the previous week for me to come work on. However, I didn't mind because I love my job. Later in the day I found out that there were three other corpers in the company but they were all in different departments from me.

The day came to an end by 4:00pm and that was when I realized I didn't have Bilal's number and he probably isn't even done with his work. Though Mum is trying to make me comfortable I don't think this idea of Bilal being my chauffeur will work. Our schedule might clash or something might come up occasionally, I really wouldn't want to be a pain in the neck of anyone. I think I would have to talk to her about this later in the week. The shrill of my phone brought me out of my thoughts.

"Hello Daddy, good evening."

"Evening Nana, how are you and how was your first day at work?"

"It was fine, Alhamdulillah. I had a lot to do, but it wasn't bad at all," I explained.

"That is Nice. I spoke to Muhammad yesterday, hope you are settling in well in their house?" he asked.

"Yes, I am and everything has been okay."

"Alright then, I just wanted to check up on you, have a nice day."

"Thank you, Daddy, my regards to Mummy. I spoke to her in the morning but still please send my regards."

"Okay. Bye," and he turned off the phone.

I decided to go outside the gate and wait for Bilal after my phone call. My intention was to wait for him for thirty minutes, if he doesn't show up then I will call his sister and ask for his contacts. Fifteen minutes into my waiting I received a call from an Unknown number.

"Hello! Nana Ibrahim speaking, how may I help you?"

I heard a laugh before the person spoke

"Why so professional this hot evening. Anyways it is Bilal, I am outside your office gate."

I ignored his comment on my tone of answering the call and started thinking of a nice way to inform him that he was lying, because I was standing right outside and there is no sign of him.

"Are you sure you are outside the gate?" I asked.

"Yes, I am," he blatantly lied.

"Uhmm, Bilal I am standing outside the gate and I can't see you."

"Ooops, alright sorry I lied to you but I am on my way, I just need to make a turn."

"Alright then," I said and turned off the call.