CHAPTER THIRTEEN

We were sitting in an awkward silence in the living room in my house. I had my head on the back pillow and was mentally ticking off all I had to do at work tomorrow.

" So today is world Nana's appreciation day."

"What do you mean," I gave him a confused look.

"If there is anything I have learned from being fatherless for six months is that people don't last forever. Of course, I knew that all this while but I just never thought it will happen to me. However, life played a fast one on me. Therefore, I have decided to appreciate the people in my life more often because we don't know what tomorrow has in store for us.'

"That is very thoughtful, I feel like we live in our bubble forgetting that death could be any minute. We think we have a long time to be with people around us and we postpone appreciating them in our lives. If life happens and they die, we are left with regrets and tons of eulogies that they will never know about."

"That is true. Anyways I haven't had time to speak to you in the midst of all the chaos but I really want to appreciate you today Nana. I don't know where to start from, you have been very selfless and a strong pillar in my life. You keep everything you have to do just to make sure I am fine whenever it seems I am not. The past few months have shown me a beautiful side to you that I have taken for granted. You have such a beautiful heart, the way you understand me is like you live in my mind. Despite how much I frustrate you, you still stand by me and girl if that isn't love I don't know what to call it. Your family has been a blessing to my family but girl you have been a huge blessing to me. I don't know how I can repay you for what you have done to me but just know that if you ever need my help for anything I will always be here. Even though I don't always say this, I am really grateful for your presence in my life."

I was flabbergasted by his appreciation.

"Anytime Bilal, I got you."

Kabir and his wife came to Nigeria to visit with their child and I was so excited. The last time I saw Kabir was when Bilal's Dad passed away. However, Bilal and I have never seen his child. The boy is so cute and we were fighting over who will pick him first. It was good to meet up again on a happy occasion.

"Bilal, can you please pass the child? You have had him for long," I rolled my eyes.

"Nana, do you mind? Can I bond with my son please?" he asked.

"Are they always like this?" asked Kabir's wife, while laughing at our bickering.

"You haven't seen anything yet. Are you guys ever going to grow up?" asked Kabir.

"Honestly, Bilal is so annoying. I wonder how I deal with him?'' I replied exasperatedly.

"Because you love me," he rolled his eyes.

"She definitely loves you. When are you guys getting married?" asked Kabir's wife

I chocked on the water I was drinking when she mentioned that. In my head I am screaming, girl are you trying to give me a heart attack?

"Marriage, who is marrying whom? Nah! She is not my type," 

Okay, that just spoilt my mood. I mean I knew it was suppose to be a joke but I was very hurt. I just crawled into my shell after that statement. I mean you don't joke about such things, unless you have actually thought of it.

"Bilal! I need to go pick up some things, can you come with me please?" asked Kabir.

"Sure."

They drove for few minutes before Kabir spoke.

"Bilal, you do know that Nana is in love with you right?"

"Nana in love with me, are you even kidding me? Of course, she is not, stop that joke."

Kabir gave him a blank look, which caused Bilal to laugh nervously

"She is in love with me?" he asked Kabir again.

"Of course she is, how could you be so blind that you couldn't see between the lines. Yeah, you guys started out as good friends but along the line, she fell in love with you and everyone that knows you guys can see that she is in love with you. From the way she looks at you, how she can't stop talking about you, how her mood brightens up when you walk into a room, to how she is ready to be there for you through thick and thin."

"This is all confusing and overwhelming. I do love Nana but In a platonic way because she just gets me like no one else does. However, I don't love her in that way of wanting to pursue a relationship with her," he explained.

"Well bro you have a lot on your plates," said Kabir.

"My God, I didn't see this coming. How could I be so oblivious," he asked himself.