Chapter 33: No Going Back

Niall’s P.O.V.

I sat in my flat, staring at the wall. Judge me, I’m lonely. I would probably never tell her this, but without having Brielle here made the flat feel empty. I missed her. It felt like hell without her.

But you were an idiot and told her that she was a murderer, I thought.

Shut up, I told myself.

It’s the truth, a voice said.

When I start talking to myself, that’s when I know that I need to get drunk, and fast. I reached for my phone then hesitated. My New Year’s Resolution was to not get wasted all the time. What the hell, I thought, and reached for my phone.

“Hello?” Harry answered.

“Hey Harry, want to go get wasted?” I asked, not even bothering with a hello.

“Sure,” Harry said.

“Meet you at the bar in ten minutes,” I said then hung up.

I shoved my phone in my pocket and stood up. My flat was a mess. There were empty pizza boxes everywhere, and dirty clothes. I ignored the chaos and walked out the door. In no time flat, I was in the bar, holding a beer in one hand and waiting for Harry. When he finally walked in the door, I had a nice buzz.

“What’s up, mate?” I asked.

“Nothing much, you?”

“I’m just an idiot,” I said conversationally then took a swig from my beer.

“How?” Harry asked curiously.

I took another long drink. “Brielle’s on trial,” I informed him.

“What?” Harry looked shocked.

“Brielle got arrested, you know, and when she came home from jail, I was on the couch with another girl,” I shrugged.

Harry smacked me on the head. “Why the hell where you cheating on her?”

I shrugged again, too drunk to even care. “I dunno, I was bored.  Brielle wasn’t going to give me any any time soon, and I’m a guy. I went to the bar when she was in jail, and I got a little drunk.”

“If you weren’t my best mate,” Harry said. “I’d fight you right here, right now.”

I grinned, my smile a little crooked. “What Harry? Got a little crush on Brielle? What about Lacey?”

Harry shook his head. “I have an interest in not letting dicks like you hurt girls like Brielle. I don’t know Niall. You used to be really nice and fun to hang out with. I don’t like this new Niall.”

I blinked a couple times. “Come on mate, you don’t think I’m a dick, do you?”

“Yeah, Niall, I do,” Harry said. “All you care about now is alcohol and sex.”

“That’s not true,” I said in a small voice, like a little kid. “I care about Brielle.”

“Yeah?” Harry raised an eyebrow. “You sure don’t act like it.”

Harry got up and walked away. I watched him leave. Who needs him? Hell, I don’t need anybody. I need another shot.

“Another!” I called to the bartender.

He raised an eyebrow, but slid me another bottle. I cheered to him and drank deeply. After I had almost downed the beer, I got up. The room swayed, but I stayed on my feet.  I made my way to the dance floor, where I danced like I was dying.