Chapter 44: Who did it?

Brielle’s P.O.V

I stared at my dad, hoping to God that the dispatcher at the other end of my phone wouldn’t talk.  That would be awkward.

“So,” I said, just to stall. “What’s up with all the guns and drugs? Got a secret hobby?”

Dad, sorry, Samuel, no way was he my dad, shook his head. “Ah, Bri. So full of humor even in the face of death.”

“I’m facing death?” I said quickly, all too aware of the gun in my father’s hand. “I thought we were having a nice visit.”

Samuel sighed. “Do you know what this is?” he shook the gun and I flinched. “This, my dear, is a gun. Used to kill people. I’ve used it before.”

I felt my stomach twist and I swallowed hard before answering. “Well, that’s pleasant. Any other sentimental artifacts here?”

Samuel grinned and came closer.  “You’re brave. I’m glad to see your worthless mother taught you something.”

“Well, you know, my even-more-worthless father could have taught me things as well, but the only thing he taught me was how to stay out of someone’s life,” I said, lightly.

Samuel’s eyes hardened. “Now’s not the time to get a smart mouth, Bri.”

“I’m not,” I answered tartly. “And by the way, it’s only Bri to people I like.”

“But you like me, don’t you Bri?” he cooed sickeningly. “You even called me dad.”

“Did I say dad?” I asked, sounding surprised. “I meant crazy waste of hydrogen on this already overpopulated planet we call home.”

Samuel walked even closer to me, twirling the gun around his finger. “You always had a way with words.”

“By always, you only mean for the past couple months, since that’s how long we’ve known each other,” I shot back.

Samuel sighed. “Bri, I was trying to have a civilized chat.”

“Civilized chats only happen when two people talk face to face, just talking,” I said. “So how ‘bout we put down the gun and just chat?”

Samuel laughed lightly. “See, Brielle, I can’t do that. You’ve seen me and my men.”

“Your men?” I asked.

“Yes, my men,” Samuel’s eyes danced with a crazy light. “They work for me.”

“Gun sales or…” I trailed off, now looking more closely at his “friends.”

Both were huge, especially next to Samuel. Both were holding guns, keeping them trained on me. One had tattoos covering his arms and even his neck, which must have been painful. The other had extreme blue eyes, they were like neon eyes. They didn’t move away from me or blink, and it was only slightly creepy. Slightly.

“They keep me safe,” Samuel said. “From people who try to take my drugs for free, and think that they can get away without paying me.”

“Oh no, we can’t have no money for the drugs,” I said sarcastically. “So how do you even get them?”

“I get them from a distributer,” Samuel smiled.”Then I sell them. I’m a drug dealer, you see.”

“No I thought you were a fairy princess,” I muttered, but he heard me.

“You won’t talk sass, understand?” he threatened, showing me his gun.

“Yeah yeah,” I muttered, nodding.