eighteen

two years later...

CASSIDY

"Wake up Cass! It's your birthday!" My eyes adjusted to the light to see Alexa standing on the end of the bed, shaking me like a rattle.

"I'm up, I'm up. Where's Chris?" I groan sitting up, looking at the empty bed we shared in our house.

"Not important right now. Just go get ready, big day today." Alexa pushes me off the bed and rushes me into the bathroom.

"What about my clothe-" I yell after she slams the door.

"They're hanging on the hook!" She yells back. I hear a door open and then close, assuming that she left. I look at the metal hook to see a loose long sleeved black top with a big slit in the middle, and then the cloth joins back together at the top, and a pair of tan jeans with matching tan heels.

I straighten my hair and throw on some makeup with my black sunglasses.

Exiting the bathroom, I see a little pink note on the white dresser.

X. Happy birthday Cassidy! I have a big surprise in store for you today. There will be a note at specific places and each note has a clue to where the next one is. All the places have something to do with our lives. Good luck! Go downstairs for the first note.

P.S. All the notes have numbers in the top left corner. Any note that doesn't have a number, but an 'X', you can throw them away. Don't throw the notes out unless they have an X!

-Chris

My smile grew as I read the note in the perfectly written handwriting.

I grab my phone, keys, and purse and walk downstairs to see a rose with pink note attached.

1. Coffee shops are overrated, but not this one.

I run into my car, heels clicking behind me.

I immediately know where to go: a coffee shop called Rise And Grind which we go to a lot because we never liked going to normal basic coffee shops.

The engine stops roaring when I arrive at the shop. I walk inside to see a man standing there with another rose with a note. I thank him and walk outside, reading the note.

2. "A fantastic view for a picnic."

My laughter filled the car as I drove to the beach, where Chris took me on a date one night while the sun was setting.

I see a red and white checker board blanket with a small basket with yet again, another rose with the note.

3. So I'm going easy on you for this one but it's your favorite restaurant.

The basket creeks open as I see a bag of Starbursts, my favorite candy. How long was this gonna last?

I drive to Brio Tuscan Grille, obviously my favorite restaurant and there is a man outside with another damn rose.

"Thank you." I walk back to my white car and look at the little note.

4. Shit I lost my sunglasses