Finding Your Heart

Damon was gone; he had been gone for two weeks now. Nobody had heard anything from him and as I observed Stefan and Elena it seemed as if Elena had tension building inside of her that wouldn't go away. I would have to talk to her at some point. She was flesh to me, as was Damon and Stefan. This was weird.

"You must be the hidden daughter," Caroline said shaking my hand. I smiled at her. It didn't help my case. "So, Stefan and Damon still slept around when they were humans. Must be good to know that Damon hasn't changed," Caroline said in a snappy voice. I jerked my head up to look at her face and my veins started to protrude. "IF I were you Caroline, I would quit poking at my father. It isn't your place to judge someone. Just wait until you have lived as long as Damon has. Maybe then you'll not be so quick to judge," I snarled. It made Elena and Bonnie's eyes widen at my sudden outburst. Caroline started to say something back but Bonnie placed her hand on Caroline's arm. "I think that's enough," Bonnie said softly. She didn't want to ruffle Caroline's feathers but the damage was done. Caroline jerked her arm away and walked off. "Caroline! Caroline, wait!" Elena called after her. "Let her go. She'll get over it," I said before turning my attention back to the task at hand. We were looking for any information on hybrids and the original family. "What have you done over the years to stay hidden?" Bonnie asked. I knew she was trying to start a conversation, but I also knew that she was curious.

I stopped and took a bottle of my father's bourbon. I poured me a glass and I sat down to take a break in my father's favorite chair. "I left Katherine in New York. She wasn't exactly happy that I was alive and that I was living my life as a vampire. But, she knew that if she killed me she wouldn't have a way to get rid of Klaus. She also thought that if she could keep me safe then Stefan would welcome her back with open arms," I said glancing toward Elena. "But, there was also something else about her," I said remembering back to the 1940's. "It was 1942. I had just arrived in Boston. It was beautiful there in the winter. Plenty of places to eat without being interrupted, or found, and it was an all you could eat buffet. Anyways, Katherine had kept an eye on me throughout the years and I knew she was there. I knew that she wouldn't interfere with my living until she was ready to face Klaus and I knew that wouldn't be anytime soon, so I continued on in Boston." Bonnie and Elena had now sat down and Caroline had rejoined the group, standing at the door listening. "Anyways it was in 1942 that I fell in love. I moved from Boston that October to Alabama. I had been there for two weeks before I met the pack of werewolves. The alpha of the town was a single father. He was fifty-six. His son was twenty-one, the prime age for an alpha to take over. I met him and he took a fancy to me. Let's just say that we had a, umm, way of expressing ourselves," I said smiling. It made Bonnie giggle.

"I really loved him. He was one of a kind. I told him of my origins. He loved me anyways. I decided that I would stay there for as long as I could. But sadly, good things doesn't last long," I said. I knew that a sad look had entered my eyes. "The pack wouldn't accept a monster such as myself into the pack. They only knew me as a vampire. Of course I wouldn't tell a soul that I was something else. Only Katherine, I, and now Ben knew what I was. It was the third week in September of 1943 that I found out I was pregnant," I said softly. Elena frowned, Caroline stepped closer with hope filled eyes, and Bonnie gasped. "How could you be pregnant? You are a vampire, your werewolf side hasn't been activated," Caroline said. "I don't know. I didn't exactly go around asking questions and wanting to know the answers. People would have come after me, worse than they are coming after Elena," I said. "I wanted to keep the baby. I wanted to tell Ben. He deserved to know the truth," I said thinking of his handsome face. "What happened?" Elena asked quietly. "Werewolves have mates. The legends about mates are true for them. They have one true mate and usually they find them by the age of 20. So, when Ben didn't find his mate he thought that I may have been his, but since my wolf side wasn't activated we wouldn't know for sure. But, right before I started showing Ben came to me. He was nervous, I could sense it. When I asked him to just tell me outright, he begged me to not kill her. She was seventeen years old, a full blooded werewolf. She was his mate. If she knew that I was having his offspring she would have to kill it. It would be in her to kill them because her offspring would never be able to lead the pack. Only the eldest child can," I said, "so, I went and saw Ben one night in November. I had a small baby bump. I was so excited, but when I got to Ben's I saw his mate. As soon as I saw her, I knew. She was a Lockwood. I became jealous. I wanted to kill her. But I waited. When she finally left I walked into the house to talk with Ben. She had left her purse and had come back to get it. When she saw me there she immediately figured out I was a vampire and went into attack mode. I... I killed her. I didn't mean too but she went for my stomach and I reacted as a mother would. I knew Ben wouldn't forgive me, but I tried. He grew angry and then he told me that he would hunt me down and carve the child from my stomach. He said that it was an abomination, along with my own self. I fled that night. And in June of 1944, I gave birth to twins in Paris," I said. Now all three girls were staring at my face. "The twins were a girl and a boy. They were beautiful. The girl was my spitting image, except her eyes were green like Stefan's. My son was a mixture of Ben and Damon. He had piercing blue eyes though," I said smiling. "My children were hybrids. I raised them as much as I could and then I watched over them throughout the years. I made sure that neither procreated. But, you can't keep love away. Nova and Ian were both falling in love. But, a fight broke out between Ian's pregnant werewolf wife and Nova's pregnant self. Nova killed Jenny and Ian killed Nova's mate. Ian went crazy and died a few months after losing his wife and unborn baby. As for Nova, she moved on and I have watched my line ever since," I said.

The whole room was silent. "So there are other hybrids that Klaus doesn't know about," Elena said. "Their sides won't be activated until Klaus' is," Bonnie said. "It was the loophole that the witches created. I could procreate to make sure if something happened to me then there would be a back-up. Did you know that throughout the years all of them died, in one way or another? But, there were females that were born throughout the line that carried the werewolf gene that mated with a vampire. It kept the blood mixed up very well," I said. "So it's possible for vampires to procreate?" Elena asked. "Only if their mate is a werewolf," I said looking at her face. Caroline had been silent for a while. "You loved your children. You know something that is coming, that's why you've showed up now. You want to protect your line. You have found where your heart truly lies," Caroline said lowly. "I've also come to protect Elena. She deserves to live a normal life," I said before getting up and dialing Damon's number.