17;

Month 1: October

It was weird without Marley around. Kelly was taking it very hard- understandably so. But in the back of his mind he knew that she had the space to focus on talking things out and focusing on getting better. Shay had gone further off the rails and Devin was happily leading her astray. Kelly had sent a request in to the hospital to be allowed to see Marley, but the response was a stern "inpatients are not allowed visitors under any circumstances."

Marley had found the first month difficult. She was not allowed to talk to anyone back home, and she was missing Kelly and everyone like crazy. She had made a few friends- her roommate Saffy was in for bipolar and depression and several suicide attempts. At first she was comforted by knowing her roommate was going through similar things as her, but when she found out Saffy had been in for over 7 months, and had apparently only gotten worse, she wanted nothing more than to go home.

Month 2: November

Shay transferred to another house, and moved out. She wouldn't admit it, but she missed Marley, and she still felt guilty that the last memory Marley had of her and Shay was that night that Shay ditched her. She'd phoned the centre but wasn't allowed to talk to her. Kelly had put in another request to see her but again, it was denied.Marley found group therapy more beneficial that individual therapy, because she didn't like to be the focus of the conversation. She had asked to call Kelly or to be able to see him, but she still wasn't allowed. As of yet, she still wasn't feeling a whole lot better.

Month 3: December

This month was especially hard for Kelly. It was Marley's 17th birthday on the 18th of December, and the 20th marked one year since he adopted her, not to mention it being Christmas too. He had been saving up since he saw Marley's old laptop to buy her a new one for her birthday, and he bought one, only to realise there was no way of giving it to her because he still wasn't allowed to see her. Christmas was awful- Shay still hadn't come home and Matt had moved in with him Otis, but Matt spent Christmas with Gabby and his family, and Otis went to Russia to see his family. So Kelly was alone. He'd bought Marley presents still, but he was only allowed to send her a couple and nothing that they would be able to make contact with each other with. Not to mention, he had picked up extra shifts, and he spent his new year alone in a bar, then in a random ladies bed. He had completely underestimated the happiness having a family around you can bring.

The month was equally as bad for Marley. She had woken up on her birthday, expecting a card or something off Kelly, but recieved nothing. Nothing but a note off her roommate saying "Happy Birthday, I give you your own room.". Upon reading it, she raced into the bathroom to see Saffy hanging off the shower railing by her bed sheets, her neck clearly broken. For her birthday she got a dead friend, and her depression seemed to get worse from that point. Christmas, she was informed she would not be allowed visitors still as it was still early days for her but they allowed a few gifts. She had received a large box, filled with letters and pictures and some of the allowed food, from the members of the firehouse and the 4 CPD members she had grown to know and love. Kelly had sent her another box with a locket. Inside was a picture she remembered Shay had took when they were baking and opposite that was a small bubble that said the words "keep smiling". From that point forward, she made a mental vow to only think positively from then on. She missed everyone far too much, and she knew that she needed to see them and that would be the key to getting better completely.

Month 4: January

Kelly had been feeling brighter knowing that he would be allowed visitations soon, and everyone noticed this. Shay still hadn't moved back in, but they were speaking again and that made him happy. It was a fairly uneventful month.
Marley had been being more honest in therapy and was slowly being allowed more independent time as she made the revelation in group therapy that she was happy she hadn't killed herself and was excited about life again.

Month 5: February

Kelly had received news from the centre that Marley may be allowed home by the end of the month as long as everything goes to plan. He couldn't help but hide his excitement when on February 25th he received a phone call stating that after a final assessment she would be allowed back home, on the condition she went to a councillor twice a week.

Marley was ecstatic when she found out she was allowed home and could finally see everyone again. She had been allowed to call Kelly to arrange all the details. Before Kelly hung up, she asked him not to say anything to anyone. He knew it would be hard to keep it a secret but he also knew how excited she would be to see everyone and it made him happy to hear her looking forward to something.
Marley smiled as she started packing- she had been planning her return surprise since she'd started feeling better and couldn't wait to execute the plan.