Chapter 4

We finally fell asleep around 4:30 am just talking about everything that has happened. She cried, I cried. I talked about Aaron, she talked about her mom. My bruised face was barely movable due to the drenching of tears. It was about 12:45 and she was still laying on me. I wasn't about to move her either. She looked like she was dreaming sweetly.

A knock on the door startled me. I moved Ray's head and she woke up. "Where are you going?" she asked in a tired voice.

"Someone's knocking." She nodded and sat up. I walked quietly down the stairs. They knocked again and I opened the door and on my door step stood a confused looking Jesse. Obviously not here for me. "Hey, Ray's upstairs. Come on." He stepped in and slipped his shoes off. I guided him up to my room and when we got in there he ran straight to Ramona. He hugged he tightly. So tightly, I thought she was gonna suffocate.

"Are you okay, baby?" he asked rushed. She just nodded. She looked like she didn't want him here. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want him here either. "What about you, Courtney? Are you gonna be okay?" I did the same nod. I looked at Ray. She really didn't want him here. I couldn't be rude and tell him to get out. 

"Jesse, this may seem rude, but we were in the middle of a big conversation. Please make your stay short."

"I'm just here to see if you are okay." He looked at his watch, "I gotta get back to school. I'll see you later." He kissed Ramona on the forehead and gave her a reassuring look and she smiled slightly. He stepped out and I heard the door close. We both walked over to my window and watched him leave with Aaron. So that's how he knew where I lived, I thought to myself.

 Ramona seemed a little happier than she was before he came. "I don't like him like that," Ramona said.

"What?" I was a little confused.

"I like someone else."

"Who?"

"I have to pee!" Next thing I knew I was being pushed past. What the hell was she hiding? "Much better," she said walking out. 

"What's going on Ray?"

"Wha? Whatcha mean?"

"You're hiding something from me." When I didn't get an answer, I simply said,"I have to go to the library."

"Okay."  She picked up a jacket and started towards the door. I just followed not really knowing what was going on. Tanya was still sleeping and the car keys were on the table. I wrote her a note and took off.

At the library, we looked around for records on the family. I sat at a computer while she looked at books with my last name in it.  A lot of the files said nothing about a car crash, but there was a file of a man with my fathers name. "Ray, come here. Look at this. Doctor Nicholas Schwartz studied at Yale University. Blah blah blah..." I scrolled. "He was in a car accident in Bullhead City, Arizona and made a full recovery. His career started after his recovery. He now is a well known doctor at Spokane Hospital in Washington. He has a wife, Justine, and two over-achieving children." I started to sob. Ray clung on to me like a lost child.

"He's still alive. And he remarried," I said between cries.

"I know, baby. Just sh-h." I grabbed her and hugged her closer to me. "We can look up your mom after schoo-"

"We aren't going to school tomorrow. Pack up. We're going to Spokane."