Chapter Four - It Always Happens

“So class, what should we do next? Oh dear, you’re getting a little too quiet! Where did the chatter go to? You’re supposed to get to know each other better and bond!” Miss Welsie squeaked. “And as for now, we shall ---”

DING! DONG! DING! DONG!

It was the 9am Break Time!

“Okay class, you may go,” Miss Welsie’s cheerful personality seemed to have disappeared into thin air. Her voice seemed all hollow… It just felt empty.

In mainly small groups of three or four, the rest of Hilary’s classmates scampered out the hallway towards the newly built air-conditioned cafeteria. She and Rosaline were the only two left behind and Hilary asked Rosaline for break together. Rosaline gently nodded her head and headed out the door with Hilary.

The cafeteria was packed with people, all dying to try out the food. Air-conditioned? Hilary could barely feel the supposed coolness. They grabbed a set of croissants and iced cappuccino each and settled down at a spot near a group of their classmates, namely Diana and Josephine as far as they could remember.

When Diana turned and spotted them, Hilary gave a wide smile, but it was returned by a scene of pretending to not notice her presence. Rosaline shrugged and beckoned Hilary to continue eating. As Hilary savoured the last bites of her croissants and the last drops of her iced cappuccino, she caught Diana and the other classmates staring at her and Rosaline. They were each taking a look every few secoonds, and turning back to mutter something before the whole group of them started sniggering.