Chapter Twelve - We Need To Talk

Hilary had no idea how she managed to fall asleep yesterday night. She waited at the magnificent gates of the school, leaning against the lamp post. Then she spotted Jason and Nick approaching the school. She immediately stood straight, taking her back off the post. Jason waved enthusiastically at his group of friends while Nick just gave a weak smile.

Jason is always so cheerful and Nick is so reserved. It’s quite hard to believe that they were actually brothers. Moreover they differ in looks – yes, Jason might be really handsome but no, she was not saying Nick was ugly. Nick had autumn maple brown hair unlike his brother’s jet black hair. He had soft brown coloured eyes; something like Hazelle’s but darker. Jason on the other hand, had enchanting black eyes. They were deep and mystifying, more than enough to grab any girl’s innocent heart.

As the two brothers walked past her, Hilary grabbed Jason by the arm. “We need to talk.”

He looked at her, stunned. “Okay,” he muttered under his breath, after which he turned to Nick.

“See you back at class,” Nick spoke, before Jason even could say anything.

Jason turned back to look at Hilary, still slightly shocked.

“So, you wanted to talk?” He snapped back into reality.

“I want to know why you told Diana we’re dating when we’re not,” Hilary stared right back at him.

To Jason, Hilary sounded demanding, yet at the same time afraid. “I didn’t tell her, I told everyone,” he smirked.

“This is not funny,” her firm voice sounded terrifying now. “You’re just using me to get rid of Diana aren’t you?”

Jason stayed silent and tried to escape Hilary’s cold eyes. He kept mum, she continued looking on at him.

“Well, I don’t like her and she’s a girl. I can’t –” Jason mustered up his courage to speak.

“And you can’t hurt her so you used me,” Hilary was demanding an explanation. “Do you know, what people out there are saying about me? They say I’m ‘not worthy of you’ just cause they think we’re dating.”

Her voice rose. Jason merely kept his head down, only at random points peeking up at Hilary.

“What else do they say? They call me slut, whore, bit—”

Hilary saw herself looking straight into Jason’s closed eyes. The tips of their noses were briefly touching and he had his two hands clasped on her cheeks, just like the other day. She could feel her cheeks turning pink. He released his grip on her face and pulled her into a hug, still keeping his lips pressed against hers.

Hilary was left dumbfounded. Her heart pounded really hard. She instinctively moved her hands to his back but she stopped, only to push him away from her.

“You look beautiful when you blush,” Jason muttered, complimenting her rosy cheeks.

Hilary blushed even harder now, her cheeks from a rosy pink turning to a cherry red.

“I love you,” he mouthed, eyes affixed on Hilary’s.

She broke away any form of eye contact and ran away, only to stutter a ‘sorry’ before rushing off.

Little did they realize that Diana had been watching them all this while.

Jason left with a sigh, leaving Diana burning with fury.

After class started, a note was being passed around, and to Hilary. She looked around, hoping to find the person who passed her the note. No one. They were all concentrated on the equations on the whiteboard, listening to the teacher or sneakily using their cell phones.

Bitch, I saw that. Don’t deny it. You’re such a slut I wonder what he sees in you. That you’re hot and cute? I think not. You’re so ugly and you dress like a freak. You’re probably just good at what you do on the bed – but whatever, whore. If you dare, stay during break time for a talk.