Chapter Fourteen - Too Late For Words

That same day, Hilary opted to walk back home instead of the usual bus she used to catch every day.

Does Jason really like her? Or is he doing it for show? He doesn’t look like he knew Diana was there… But she doesn’t like him back, what could she do? She couldn’t bluntly hurt him could she? But he used her. Is she supposed to forgive him?

And Diana, she has been against Hilary even before Jason got into the picture! What does she want? Calling her ugly, and now with the jealousy, it becomes slut and bitch? It might just get worse. Going to school daily in fear of more bullying, being stared at and gossiped about – how long more could she survive this?

Jason, maybe Hilary does like him, she just doesn’t know it. Thinking back on the talk they were supposed to have, it turned out to be a confession that Hilary didn’t expect. Was the confession real? Or was it just a bluff to get Diana away from Jason? Hilary didn’t know, but she thought back on the kiss. She gently bit her bottom lip. It felt so real, so passionate in fact. Maybe it was real, maybe he did like her. Hilary felt a spark flowing throughout her body when Jason planted his lips on hers. Did she like him too?

“Whatever it is, I need to tell him,” Hilary muttered under her breath as her fingers gently tapping the screen of her cell phone.

Right before she sent the message, Hilary’s fingers stopped. Her footsteps slowed to an end too. She stared blankly at her phone.

“What if it’s just Jason’s show to let Diana give up?” She pondered.

Then it all ended. Hilary lay on the concrete road with her eyes half-closed, the cell phone still in her hand, the message left unsent.

Life was slowly drained out of her, just like how blood was making its way out of her body. The road was stained red with her blood, just like her regret.

She should never have hesitated.

Hilary’s cell phone sprung to life, playing her favourite ringtone whenever there’s a call.

“Sometimes it’s too late

Things were meant to be this way

No words to be said

Cause’ it’s the last chance you have

Hesitation gets in the way

Stops you from making up your mind

And you just keep running away

Running away

Just keep running away”

Hilary’s cell phone was brightly lit up, the person on the other line still waiting for her to pick up the phone.

She could see Jason’s name clearly below the word ‘Calling’.

Then Hilary’s eyes snapped shut.

It was over.