Chapter Six - It's A Common Thing

Over the next few days, Hilary still had her usual break time with Rosaline. They had started talking more and more each day, upon finding the many similarities they shared. Both a fan of fiction books and a passion for music, they grew so close together. Hilary who played the guitar and Rosaline, who had a natural talent for piano, were the inseparable two in the class.

Hilary found out that Rosaline wasn’t as quiet as she thought she would be. Rosaline may seem so reserved, yet you will discover her cheerful personality should you befriend her. Concealed in that silent appearance, was a bubbly 17-year-old who still had that bit of childishness in her.

Diana and her group of friends seemed to grow larger in number by the day. Soon enough, their group consisted of almost a third of the class. Not once but in fact many times, had Hilary caught them staring and turning back to the group and laughing suspiciously.

“Do you think they’re gossiping about us?” Hilary finally let it out to Rosaline. She could not hold it in any longer, she had to ask. Curiosity engulfed Hilary’s mind.

Rosaline stopped eating her cheesecake and casually glanced at Diana and friends. Hilary had her eyes fixed on Rosaline. She seemed so calm about it.

“Aren’t you curious at all?” Hilary raised a left eyebrow as she anxiously waited for Rosaline to speak again.

Rosaline affixed her eyes back on her food and as she picked up a piece of her remaining cheesecake, she answered, “Does it really matter? It’s not strange for such things to happen around here anyway.” She popped the piece into her mouth.

Hilary seemed to be more confused than ever. Rosaline had never been like that. Well, she has always been just that she usually responds to questions and situations. Hilary kept her eye on Rosaline who looked up to speak again, “The less of this you know, the better. Just know that it’s common and don’t bother to find out. It won’t do you any good.”

Upon completing her sentence, Rosaline stood up to leave, “I’ll see you back at class, I need to make a call.”

This left an even more star struck Hilary at the table.

“What is common?”

“What can I not know?”

“How will it hurt me?”

“What is it that Rosaline is hiding from me?”