Chapter 4

Katherine was thrilled that her mom was able to fly out for the engagement party, at least there would be someone there who was on her side. It wasn't that she disliked Joe's friends and family but she was a little overwhelmed at the thought of them altogether. She had a few friends of her own coming along but they were completely outnumbered.

She had to hand it to Mrs Cooper, she'd put on quite the party. Her home was lavishly decorated, and she'd hired outside catering and staff. Katherine had grown up in relative wealth but not like this, or if it was, her parents certainly didn't flaunt it.

'Well haven't you landed on your feet,' her mom, Marsha Travis, joked as she surveyed the scene around her.

'Joe doesn't live like this,' Katherine said feeling a little defensive. 'He might work for his dad but he doesn't get handouts.'

'I know, I'm only joking.'

'Sorry, mom.' Her mom hugged her and she tried to make herself relax.

'Hey Marsha,' Joe said coming over, and her mom embraced him. At least they seemed to like each other Katherine thought, she was never too sure that Joe's mom was very keen on her although she couldn't put her finger on why. She grimaced seeing Donnie and some of Joe's friends making a beeline for them.

'Hi,' she said quickly rearranging her face into something like a smile as they all exchanged pleasantries.

'Hey, aren't you Marsha Travis?' Donnie asked turning to her mom with a big grin on his face. 'I saw all your movies growing up, I had quite a crush on you.' Marsha laughed indulgently but Katherine cringed, almost certain Donnie was mocking her mother.

'You're making me feel my age, I've not acted for at least ten years,' Marsha said smiling.

'More like twenty,' Katherine interjected and her mom's eyes narrowed.

'But you were great, I know you never had the lead part but you always stood out to me,' Donnie said. There's the dig Katherine thought, but her mother seemed charmed.

'Joe I'm going to have to fly out here more often, you keep excellent company.'

'Ignore Donnie, he can't help himself,' Joe replied gently squeezing Katherine around her waist.

'Joe I'm expressing my admiration for your future mother in law,' Donnie said tongue in cheek. 'If you'd spent less time in Bible classes and more time watching cable you'd get it.'

'Is that a dig?' Katherine demanded, the words out of her mouth before she could stop herself. The smile left her mom's face and Donnie looked perplexed.

'Katie I was joking with Joe, I've watched your mom's movies and they're great,' he said seriously.

'Right, sorry,' Katherine said, not sure that he was being sincere but not wanting to hurt her mother's feelings if he wasn't.

'You need to circulate Kat,' Marsha said with a slight edge in her voice. 'It's your party and they're your guests so you should attend to them.' Katherine almost retorted that they weren't her guests at all but she took Joe's hand and followed her mom's advice not wanting to have a silly row.

~~~

Shannon walked into the party with her parents and instantly spotted Joe and Katherine. She couldn't miss Joe's dark wavy hair which he could never keep neat. Katherine was what she'd expected, tall, dark-haired, pretty but modest looking. Joe never liked girls who were too showy and she had a moment of doubt about her dress. The low neckline showed off a bit of cleavage without being too revealing. She knew she looked good but she didn't think Joe would like it.