Chapter 8

"That's um, uh" I stutter. "Here I'll take it" I reach out for it but she snatches it away. "I can read and I know what this says but, why?" "I just can't explain it" "No, I think you can, you just don't want to, what's going on?" she's demanding now and she sounds really angry. "If you just give me my book, I will." I say lying. She slowly starts to pass it to me and I slowly reach out for it. She puts it in my hand and I slowly pull it into my body. Then, I turn around and dart to our bathroom downstairs.

Shira screams behind me to stop and give it to her but I ignore her and turn into the bathroom and lock the door behind me.

She starts shaking the knob and pounding on the door. "PENELOPE HARPER RYANS OPEN THIS DOOR!" She shouts while pounding continually. "No!"

Once she stops pounding the house is silent. Im starting to think she left. I cautiously walk to the door. I grab the door handle and press my ear to the door. No sound. I smile to myself feeling proud I won.

I open the door and Shira grabs my shirt and starts to yank. "AHHHHH SHIRA LET GO!" "NO GIVE ME THAT BOOK!" She lunges at me and reaches for the book I quick push the door closed and she ends up hitting her head on the door. "Owwww" I hear her complain.

My breaths finally go back to normal pace and I sit on the edge of the bathtub and go through the pages. At the very beginning is a drawing of a big heart with a crack in it. After Shira was cheated on by her boyfriend.

The next page is a sketch of my face with bruises all over it. That was from when Harris hit me in the face repeatedly.

When he didn't like me. Do you think he does now? Do you think he likes me? I'm not going to ask just in case. Hopefully if he really does feel that way he'll forget about his friends and how nerdy I am and just tell me.