9

So here we sat at a restaurant, in a private area, the four of us. Our food already came. Blue ordered chicken tenders with macaroni and cheese and a side of salted broccoli. My mom ordered rosemary chicken with a loaded potato with a side of mixed vegetables. Jay ordered the same but steak instead. And I ordered a fried pork chop combo with a loaded potato and a side of salted collard flower. My mom cleared her throat wiping her lips making sure no one was recording us. When we were in the clear she spoke.

"So I feel like this is the perfect time to discuss our situation." She said to jay and I, "jasmine you are going to be 16 this month so a lot of maturity has to happen okay? And this is a start. I want the three of us to talk amongst each other like adults, am I clear?"

I nodded my head. The table was silent until jay decided to speak up, "jasmine you are like a daughter to me and it's hurts to see you hate me-"

"I don't hate you I despise you-"

"Ah ah" my mom interrupted, "adults don't interrupt one another"

But you just interrupted me🤦🏽‍♀️

I just nodded my head eating my food. I heard jay sigh, "but as I was saying it hurts me to see you act this way toward me when I don't even know what I have done. I look at you as my daughter, not by marriage but by blood. I have been knowing you since you were a baby and I have done so much for you and I will continue to do that, but I just want...what ever beef you have towards me to be squashed. Just tell me what I need to do to make this better between us"

I nodded my head taking a sip of my raspberry lemonade 😀 while having my eyes focused on him. I put my drink down and folded my arms, "okay."

He gave a kool-aid smile

I smirked, "divorce my mom and I'll be the happiest person on earth"

My mom choked on her food like literally she was in a fit of coughing and wheezing. She patted her chest as her eyes water. Jay patted my mothers back. I mean he was the closest to her, blue sat next to me and jay sat next to her on da other side. The restaurant got quiet as an assistance of waiters came rushing asking questions about if it was the food and if we needed to call 911.

"Mommy! Are you okay" blue asked still eating her food

When my mom finally got done coughing she took a deep breath, "whooooo god almost took me home. Food went down the wrong pipe"

She told the waiters it was okay and to continue their job and that the food was impeccable.

"You okay baby?" Jay asked worried

She nodded her head. It took a while for the restaurant to get calm again.

"What do you mean you want me to divorce your mother?" Jay asked

My mother looked up from her plate and stared at me.

Bet she not gone eat anymore after what happened

"I love that woman with everything in me-"

"If you loved her you wouldn't be having her go through all the shit she is going through now" I spoke. Jay looked at me confused as my mom sighed. "I'm not blues age okay? I know when stuff happens between y'all even before I moved in you were steady tarnishing my mothers heart. But I'm not going to put that all on you because I had something to do with that as well"

I paused and looked at my mom, "I'm sorry for the stuff I put you through. I'm sorry for all the things I said to you in the past and the only thing I can do to make up for lost time is to be the best daughter I can be, but I can't be that when my mother is being hurt by the man she loves with all her life" I said the last part looking at jay.