Chapter Thirty-Six: Alia Fletson

Chapter Thirty-Six:

Alia’s POV

When I opened my eyes, I woke up in a hospital bed inside the Remake Center. There was an IV in both of my arms, one pumping Capitol medicine through my veins and the other keeping me hydrated.

I touched my right hand to the bridge of my nose and ran it down the side of my face to find that the cut had vanished. Thank you, Capitol doctors.

Even though I had healed dramatically, my body was still sore and aching. I figured it would take a little while for me to ever feel the same again.

I glanced around the Remake Center. The other three hospital beds were empty, making me alone in the room.

Slowly, I got up from the bed, feeling my bare feet hit the cold floor as I made my way out of the vacant Remake Center and into the hallway outside.

I saw Gale Hawthorne pacing in the hallway. As soon as he caught sight of me, he asked, “The Capitol medicine’s amazing, isn’t it, Career?”

I rolled my eyes slightly. “My name isn’t Career, you know.”

“Fine, Alia. Anyway, you might want to read this…” Gale said and shoved a Capitol magazine in my face.

I gave him a slightly confused look, which made him reply, “Turn to page thirty-two. I think you’ll be interested…”

I flipped through the magazine until I came across exactly what he wanted me to see:

THE GRUESOME TWOSOME: DISTRICT 2 VICTORS

“The Gruesome Twosome?” I queried as my eyes scanned the pictures on the page.

There was some sick before and after picture comparing our interview picture to a photo of Cato and I directly out of the arena. The second picture looked more like a mug shot than a Capitol shot to me…

Gale was chuckling at this. “Read it… out loud…”

Alia and Cato, the victors from District Two, have been nicknamed the ‘Gruesome Twosome’ by the audience for their…” I cut myself off as soon as I read the next line.

“Go on…” Gale snickered.

I huffed and continued, “Horrific and brutal fighting skills and romantic relationship. They were definitely two of the most remember-able tributes we’ve ever had in the history of the Hunger Games. Together, they killed more than half of the tributes to enter the arena. Everyone in Panem has enjoyed watching the Gruesome Twosome in the arena and we look forward to seeing them on the Victory Tour with fellow victors Cyra (District Four) and Gale (District Twelve).

“So I’m horrific?” I snapped.

Gale laughed even harder than before. “Oh, come on, Alia, you know how you played the Games…”

“But I’m not…! Oh, whatever. When are we doing the post-Game interviews?”

“In a couple hours… oh, and your filthy Career boyfriend lost a hand, by the way…”

“Thank you for reminding me, Gale. I was there, remember?”

Gale, with a smirk across his face then joked, “My pleasure.”