Chapter two: "I'll marry you, Khalid"

If I'm lucky I'll meet ya, flip side of the graveyard
-Jason Derulo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mom!" Negina roars at her own mother for the first time. "You can't be serious, I am not going to marry him."

"Negina." Her mother warns in a death glare.

"Come on, it's not that bad." Mustafa states rolling his eyes. Negina glares at her younger brother then to Naser. But instead of defending her he takes Mustafa's side, "I know right."

"There is nothing you can do to make me meet his parents tonight." Negina challenges folding her arms over her chest.

Feeling a slap on her face Negina gasps.

I guess there is a way...

"You are going to dress pretty. Greet them with honor. And when Khalid brings the desmal (scarf) you are going accept the proposal. Understand?" Her mother yells sending up to go out of her daughters room.

Anger rises up in Negina as she slams the door of her bedroom shut pacing around the room thinking about one thing.

"I won't marry him!" Negina tells herself.

"He won't love me!" She continues pacing nonstop.

"Even if I love him." Negina whispers out loud falling on her bed. What if she falls in love with him? What if she starts to like him, but we all know that he'll never love her. What if he doesn't want her, and divorces her. Even worse, what if he doesn't even bother to show up to the proposal?

"Negina, get ready!" She hears her older brother's long time unheard voice yell. Negina slaps her hand hardly on the soft bed, which does absolutely nothing. Almost yelling out in anger, she takes a few deep breaths and calms herself.

"It'll be alright." She tells herself as she puts on some makeup to coverup anything on her face. Putting on the maroon dress that her mom told her to, Negina goes to the kitchen.

"Za kali de waghun da. I'll take care of the rest." (Go put your clothes on.) Negina says taking the plate filled with some type of salad from her mom's hand. She kisses the top of Negina's head, smiling. "Please make us proud."

Negina finishes off by placing the cans of soda and water bottles in the fridge to make them cold for the guests. Hearing the doorbell ring, Negina's not surprised at all to see her cousin Sediq's family. A few minutes later Lema, Negina's best friend, and her family finally show up.

Negina and Lema leave their dads and the rest of the men in that room, leading the woman to the other room.

"Khala!" Negina hears a little child's squeal. Abruptly turning she finds Mary, Madina's 4 year old daughter, tugging at her feet.

"Mary." Negina says happily in the same tone as the little girl.

"I missed you, khala." Mary says hugging Negina tighter. "I missed you too, honey." Negina replies.

"Mansoor, you've grown so much!" Negina hears from the other room, making her chuckle at this poor Mansoor who was obviously about to get a wife.

"Negina!" Madina exclaims excitedly.

"What?" Negina asks lamely.

"They're here."

...............

"Salam, Negina jaan." (Hello Negina, sweetie.) Negina greets back as her aunt kisses her cheeks, "Salam, Khala." (Hello, Auntie.)

Madina shows them to where the women are and they greet everyone with hugs and kisses on the cheeks.

Half an hour has passed and Negina starts worrying about the fact that maybe her husband ran away. She's told a few people about her consent and they all assured her that he'll come.

A few more minutes pass when the door bell rings. This time Negina's dad opens the door. Negina is told to stay out, but she and Lema couldn't help but peek at the door to see if he's an old man or a young guy. Lema looks first and doesn't let Negina.

"Nope." She states standing broadly at the door. Negina pleads but it doesn't bring a difference to Lema's answer. "I hate you." Negina grumps.

"Negina. What are you doing here?" Madina. It her own sister who's in front of her. But before she can start on giving the two girls a speech Negina cut her off, "Come on sis, live a little."

Hearing that Madina sighed and winked, "I was never here." And with that she walked away back to the room filled with afghan music blaring through the room.

The door open again only this time it's Negina's mom who's at the door. Now she's not as easy to get rid of.

"Mom," Negina starts nervously.

"Za." (Go.) Her mom says pointing to the door. Not even trying object, Negina and Lema both give up and head inside the room with their heads bowed low.

"Negina!"

"Salam Khala." Negina greets. Her mother over a look telling her to sit with her fiancé's mom. Negina glares, letting herself fall to the carpeted floor.

"Uncoe Khaid is here!" (Uncle) A little girl screams and Negina realizes it's the daughter of one of Khalid's siblings or cousins. Negina's heart starts beating faster and her hands start to sweat. She wipes them on her pants just as Khalid's brother, Mansoor, enters the room with a small Afghanistan green and white dismal.

They see him hand the dismal to Negina's dad and his dad asks him, "I want your Negina to become my daughter in law."

Negina dad smiles approvingly.

"Negina!" He calls to her into the room. Taking a deep breath she stands up walking to the room where now for the first time she sees Khalid and his family.

Negina is more than surprised to see a broad handsome man, not the old guy she imagined. Looking about a few years older than Negina herself, maybe even less than her estimation.

The small dismal is now in Negina's hands. She runs her finger through it, feeling the soft texture sewn to the green piece of cloth. She spots Khalid himself, standing a few inches taller than her. Negina takes a look at his parents, a middle aged couple who really depend on their kids to take over their company.

"Negina, do you accept my proposal?" Khalid asks holding out a bouquet of pink roses for Negina. For the first time Negina heard her husbands voice; it's so soft and gentle. It's dead silence, the only thing that's heard is the snapping of pictures that are took and posted on social media.

Negina shuts her eyes as tears fall out of them. She doesn't want this, she doesn't want any of this. Her mothers words ring in her ears, make us proud.

"Awe, sona khushala Da." (Awe, she's so happy.) someone says causing Negina to spread a fake smile on her lips answering,

"I'll marry you, Khalid."
..................

Authors Note~
Wow, she agreed? What's your thoughts on that?

If y'all read my other book "How if all Started" you may know that I put up a challenge. If this book gets 10 reads, I'll post the next chapter. So here y'all go, another chapter!

Don't forget to vote and comment.