21. They Witness // Sapphire's story

There was a time when it was impossible to hear the name Sapphire without the name Hilary. They were two peas in a pod. Attached at the hip. Cut from the same cloth.

These two were so intertwined in their friendship, it was torture for them to momentarily separate. That was until, one evening, when a murder tarnished their lives with scandal and scars. And it was something sinister that kept the two friends from each other from that moment on.

The catastrophe occurred during a harmless sleepover - they were talking about their futures, not knowing it would change so quickly, in an instant, that night. It changed everything. Sapphire went back to square one and Hilary was dragged back by force. It was the decline that shook them.

***

"Hey," Hilary said suddenly, dropping her phone on the couch and addressing Sapphire whilst sitting up, "have you thought about what to apply for in the fall?"

"You mean, college applications and all that jazz?" Sapphire replied, pausing to look up from her phone. She started playing with her nails. Hilary fluffed the cushions.

They were currently relaxed - listening to some soft electronic music and scrolling through their social media accounts on their phones: any talk about the future would mean engaging in a d&m conversation.

It wasn't that they never had such deep and meaningful conversations, but rather it was the emotional rollercoaster that they would be taken on that they wanted to avoid. Specifically, if it was concerning their parents in any way.

"Yeah."

Sapphire inhaled softly, exhaling before she opened her mouth to talk, "Yes and no."

Hilary raised an eyebrow expectantly, "Well?"

"Yes, I've thought about it but every time I think about it I stop myself from thinking even more about it." Sapphire explained with a pained smile.

There was silence but Hilary softened her silence with her warm, reassuring smile and kind eyes. "You know you can talk to me, right? About anything, Saph. I mean, absolutely anything. Everything. Nothing."

Sapphire chuckled lightly, "You don't make sense half of the time, Hils. But sure, I know that. What haven't I told you? I tell you everything." Her tone was teasing, and Hilary knew Sapphire was activating her self defence-slash-humour mode.

"Saph, be real with me for a second. Are you scared to talk about college because of your parents?" Before Sapphire could reply, Hilary exclaimed, "A yes or no answer only, babe. Don't even think about fobbing me of with one of your sarcastic jokes or-"

"Jeez, woman, I'll obey. And yes."

"Okay. So. Assuming you don't want to go into much detail, you just need to answer yes or no. Okay?"

"Fine." She didn't sound unhappy or annoyed; she knew Hilary was trying to be there for Sapphire in her own way.

"Right. You're wondering whether they had everything mapped out."

"Yes."

"And, if you're anything like them." Sapphire nodded slowly at that, not surprised that Hilary knew her best friend's train of thought so well. "So you're wondering if you're resourceful like your dad, or logical and responsible like your mother."

"Is this gonna be like a séance of some kind? Do I need to get my candles out to speak with my dead parents to find this out?" Sapphire looked sceptical and frustrated now. Hilary hit the jackpot with her investigative question.