Chapter 8

There are different levels of boredom. There is level one boredom, which is the most common and safest type of boredom. This is when you're in physics class and the teacher is rattling on about motion in a plane and your eyelids start to feel heavy. To cure yourself from this type of boredom, all you have to do is daydream of what better things you could be doing during this time or stare at your crush, who's sitting across the room and has no idea you exist. Level two boredom is a little more complex. It's when you're done with all your homework and can't figure out what to do because all your friends are busy and your Netflix subscription has expired. The best thing to do here would be to call someone and blackmail them to give you their Netflix password, or go for the next best thing, which is Youtube. The worst stage of boredom, is level three boredom, which typically happened if you were blind and stuck at home on a Sunday afternoon with absolutely nothing to do but listen to the same pop songs you've listened to a million times already. Symptoms include frustration, making exaggerated huffing and puffing noises and wanting to bang your head on the wall until it exploded.

I've diagnosed myself with said condition and am walking around my room in circles trying to make myself dizzy when my phone starts blasting out Blank Space. I stumble around trying to detect where it's coming from. I trip over my own feet and land in a heap on my bed and pull the phone out from under my stomach.

"Hello?"

"Hello. It's me, Ross. Is this a bad time?"

"Nope what's up? Where are you?" I ask trying to catch my breath.

"I'm in front of your house, actually."

What?

I run down the stairs, two at a time, which was dangerous since I didn't bother counting them. By some miracle, I don't fall. I hear light snores coming from the couch in the family room indicating my mother is napping. I hurry to the door and swing it open.

"Hey, beautiful", Ross's voice says.

"You can't see me", I remind him even though I can't help smile a little. I was in a fuzzy sweater and yoga pants and my hair is falling out of the bun it was in when I had tied it up in the morning before I showered. Not attractive.

"I just needed something cool to say when you pulled the door open. Play along", he whines.

I'm about to give him a sarcastic response when something cold and wet touches my hand causing me to squeal and jump back. "What was that?"

"What was what? Oh sorry, I didn't introduce you two. How inconsiderate of me. Adelaine, this is Baelor, my half German Shepard, half Lab seeing eye dog. Baelor, this is Adelaine. You may now shake hand and paw."

I assume he's joking but he takes my hand and presses it to a furry outstretched paw and Baelor let's out a noise that sounds like a mixture of a bark and a whimper.

"See, she's smart. She acknowledged you", Ross says proudly.

"Nice to meet you", I say solemnly. I've always wanted a dog but my mom's allergic.

"Wait, what are you doing here?" I ask when my mind is out of doggy land and registers the fact that a guy is standing at my doorstep without invitation.

"I thought you might be bored and wondered if you want to come out for a walk with us. Baelor's been cooped up all week and she needs the exercise", he tells me.

"Sure, I'd love to come." I say happily. "But, oh, wait."

I run into the family room and shake my mother's arm lightly. "Mom, can I go on a walk with Ross?"

"Is someone with him?" she mumbles sleepily.

"Yeah", I say, not even bothering to cross my fingers. It wasn't a lie. Baelor was too smart to be a some thing.