Chapter 12

"The time is 6:04", my watch tell me when I push the button. How has it only been four minutes?

"Adelaine, can you please stop checking the time and pay attention please?" Dr. K calls me out.

"Right... What did you say before I blanked out?"

"I asked you what your plans were for the weekend", he repeats.

I blink. It was still Monday. Who asked for weekend plans on a Monday?

"Excuse me?"

"Well, your mother mentioned that you were going to a concert. With a friend. A friend who is a boy", he says, framing each word carefully.

I only asked her an hour ago. How did she rat me out already?

"First off, that's on Friday which technically doesn't classify as a weekend. Secondly, how often do you call my mom? And lastly, how do I say this in the nicest way possible? How is this any of your business?" I say sassily.

"Please don't be rude Adelaine", Dr. K says in his endlessly patient voice. "I have only interfered because I don't know if it's a good idea if you go out with a boy when your emotional stability is so weak."

I can't believe my ears. "What?"

"Well, it's only been two months since Tyler broke things off with you and I don't think it's a good idea to involve yourself in another relationship when you're so fragile", he rephrases.

"We're not dating", I practically shout, but I feel my cheeks turn bright pink, probably convincing Dr. K otherwise. Well, I might have a teeny tiny crush on him but we were definitely not in a relationship. How could he even think that. 

"And I'm not fragile", I continue, trying not to think of me crying all over Ross a few days ago. "You know what, if you turn me against one of the only things that's making me happy right now, I really don't want to hear this crap. Oh yeah, I swore. Crap, crap, crap. It's already so hard to get my mom to send me anywhere and if you make up this shit about my mental fragility which you know nothing about, you're going to screw my life up worse then you already have."

Then I jump out of my chair, turn around and run out the door like I've quit my job and am experiencing freedom for the first time. Well, it would have been freedom if I hadn't run into a pole eleven steps later and busted my head open.

" Oww", I moan as I stagger backwards, seeing bright patches in my non existent vision. I stumble off the end of the sidewalk, twisting my ankle and falling into a prickly plant. "Dammit!"

A few seconds later I hear the doors swing open again. "Adelaine?" I hear Dr. K's worried voice until he notices me. "Oh my holy saint Jesus, you're bleeding!"

I bring my fingers up to my forehead and sure enough, I feel wetness.

I groan again and crawl out of the bush until I find the sidewalk again.

"Your mother will sue me for all I'm worth", Dr. K cries.

Normally I would be appalled that the guy is worrying about being sued when I'm pouring blood out of my head but if I had to face my mother and tell her that her precious daughter had been injured under my watch, I'd be scared too.

My head starts pounding and wetness starts trickling down my forehead.

"She's not picking up", Dr. K says frantically.

I knew she wouldn't. One of my agreements for going to therapy was that she would go to the salon whenever I endured Dr. K. It was the only surefire way to calm her down a little and get her off my back.