v

Chapter Five:
against the wall

"No!" I snap at Luke, getting aggravated.

"Don't get an attitude with me, babydoll. You won't like the results." He glares at me, a cigarette hanging from his lips.

"Well then, no smoking in my apartment!" Luke rolls his eyes.

"You don't boss me around, flower, and you better watch it. You do not want to make me angry." I huff and walk over closer to him. I reach up to grab the cigarette from his lips, but before I can take it from him his hand reaches up and grabs my wrist.

"River." Luke lowers his voice, and his eyes go dark. "No." I freeze under his state. He towers over me, making me feel so small. I whimper softly and Luke bites his lip. He releases my hand and walks towards the door.

"Hurry up, we need to get going or we'll be late." I sigh and walk behind him slowly, not being able to walk very fast.

We walk out and down the stairs. As we get into the parking lot, and Luke walks towards a black GTR. My eyes widen as he unlocks it and opens the passenger door for me.

"Y-you've got an nice car.." I mumble, still angry with him. He hums in response and shuts the door once I get in. He walks around the car and gets into the driver seat. We stay silent as he pulls out of his parking spot, and out onto the street.

We are halfway through the ride whenever he speaks up.

"My nephew isn't too fond of strangers, so don't be upset if he doesn't like you." I turn to look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Okay.." I roll my eyes at his comment, and look back out the window. I hear Luke mutter something under his breath and I snap my head over to look at him and scoff.

"What the hell is your problem." I scoff and snap at him. Luke locks his jaw and his knuckles turn white from his tight grip on the steering wheel.

"Be quiet." Luke's voice is low and almost unrecognizable. I laugh bitterly.

"Yeah right. God, why are such an asshole." Before I could comprehend what was happening, Luke slams on the brakes and pulls over to the side of the road. He unbuckles and turns his body to me. In seconds, my seatbelt was unbuckled and Luke's hand was around my throat.

"You do not talk to me like that. Ever. Do you fucking understand me, River?!" I whimper and a strangled noise comes from my mouth. I struggle to breath while staring into Luke's dark eyes. He looks into my eyes and bites his lip. His face softens and he releases my throat before turning back and leaning against his seat.

"Fuck!" He slams his hands on the steering wheel, making me jump.

"I'm s-sorry.." I whisper, looking down at my lap in shame. My eyes were watering.

"I'm sorry, River. It's just hard to remember that I can't be rough with you. I don't want to hurt you, baby. But.. When you talk back to me and act like a brat it's so difficult to hold back."He sighs and runs his hand through his hair.

"I-it's okay.." I close my eyes, calming my breathing. Luke sighs again, and buckles up. He doesn't reply, and drives back onto the road. He silently slips his hand over onto my thigh. I shyly place my hand over it. His thumb starts to rub my thigh. My cheeks heat up and I look out the window to keep Luke from seeing.

We eventually pull into a driveway of a decent sized house. Luke tells me to stay in the car, and he goes inside. After a few boring minutes of waiting, I see Luke walking out with a young boy following him. Luke is laughing at something the boy said, and it makes me smile.

Luke and the boy get into the car and the small kid shyly waved at me.

"Hi there." I smile brightly at him, nervous because I want him to like me. He smiled then his his face in his hands.

"River, this is Roman. Roman, this is River." The boy started to giggle and Luke asked him what was so funny.

"Our names sound the same." His voice is so soft and cute, it takes all my strength not to 'aww'.

"I like your name more!" I smile at the little boy and he scrunches up his nose.

"Of course you do! It's the best!" The ride was full of little comments like this from Roman that caused me to start giggling.

Whenever we made it to the church, Luke got Roman out and held his hand as we walked inside. We took Roman to his room, and sat to the side watching them talk and interact. His teacher came over to us and greeted us.

"Are you two going to join us in a game!" Luke answered before me, and got me sucked into playing. A grown man playing a child's game, this'll be interesting. The game was a version of tag. The person who was it, was a mystery. They're task was to tag people on the wrist to get them out, without anyone still in finding out they're it.

We all were given a card, and the Ace of Spades determined the one who was it. I got a 6 of hearts. As we left the classroom, I followed Luke around like a lost puppy. Roman took off with his friends.

I turn around to find him, and we I turn back around I don't see Luke.

"Luke!" I whisper-shout his name, but don't get a response. I've never been in the church before, so I don't know where i'm going. I turn down a hallway and whisper-shout Luke's name again. I see a shadow, and my heart races.

"Hello?" I say in a normal tone, and start to back up. Out of no where, a body pushes me up against a wall, and pins my hands above my head, the persons hands wrapped around my wrists. The person leans their head in close to my ear, and I recognize their voice when they chuckle.

"Luke.." I breathe out and relax. My heart starts to race again when I feel Luke bite down slightly on my neck. He pulls his head back again, and moves it to where our lips are almost touching. I look up at him with wide eyes, and move slightly towards him. Right before our lips touch he smirks and winks.

"You're out." He pushes himself off of me and lets go of my wrist. I'm speechless as he jogs off down the hall. All I can think about is how badly I wanted the man to kiss me.

word count: 1151
sorry it's been so long