xv

chapter fifteen:
wedding date

*a week later* (let's all pretend I'm not updating almost 2 years later)

"This is fucking stupid." I grumble to myself as I throw the duffle bag into the backseat of my car. I slam the door shut and walk back up the stairs to my apartment. I continue mumbling quietly and I check around my living room and bedroom for things I might've forgotten. I grab my phone off the counter and see a missed call from my mother.

"Leave me alone." I whine like a child, already completely fed up with my mom and I hadn't even gotten to her house yet. I angrily call her back and exit my apartment while waiting for her to answer. As I'm locking the door I hear her nasally voice so loud that I wince.

"Have you left yet?!" She yells into the phone and I can hear many voices in the background, mainly that of children screaming.

"I am leaving my apartment right now, Mom." I roll my eyes aggressively and start walking down the stairs.

"You're bringing that boy, right?" I stumble on my next step and curse as I drop my phone in order to grab the railing and not fall. I hear her faint voice as I take a deep breath to calm my now racing heart. I reach down and pick up my phone, returning it to my ear as slowly descend down the last few steps.

"No, Mom. I told you I wasn't going to bring him." Luke and I hadn't spoken much this past week, our only interactions had mainly been awkward glances and small smiles in the hallway.

"River if you don't bring that boy I swear I will stop putting money into your account." I stop abruptly and struggle to get words out.

"M-Mom, you said you'd help me cover the apartment costs while I work on getting a job!" My parents never let me work when growing up, so I had practically no money saved up. I had no way to pay for an apartment without help from them. I had promised to pay them back all of it once I started working.

"I did say that, but I can easily take that back anytime I want. So bring him, or I'm done helping." I hang up on her without another word, and struggle to refrain from screaming and chunking my phone. I stand there for a moment, thinking over my options- not that I really even had a choice.

I turn and slowly go up the stairs again, panting slightly when I get to the top. I stand outside Luke's door, contemplating how bad being homeless would actually be.

"Fucking hell." I mumble then reach up and knock on his door. After a minute or two I decide he's just not home, so I turn to go back to my car. Maybe I can pick up a stranger and have him pretend to be my boyfriend?

" River?" I turn back around and see Luke standing in his doorway with the door slightly ajar. His hair is a mess and his face makes it clear he just woke up.

"Um, yeah. Sorry, uh," I avoid eye contact and pick at the skin on the side of my thumb. "I've gotta go to that stupid wedding, for my brother, and my mom is making me bring you. It's last minute so I totally understand if you can't come, it'll be a few days and I'm sure you have things to do I just-"

"I'll go." I snap my head up with wide eyes, not expecting him to accept.

"Oh." We sit there staring at each other of r moment longer, then I jerk back into reality. "Right, um, you can just pack a bag or whatever you need. I'm leaving like, now, so you should do that." There's too many pauses when I'm talking, and I feel nervous. Why am I being so fucking awkward? Luke chuckles softly then nods.

"I'll do that." I nod back and turn to go back to my car. I go down the steps extra carefully, the interaction made me start shaking and I really don't feel like falling down stairs right now. I slip into the drivers seat of my car and let out of very deep breath.

"Holy shit." I want to curse out my mom so fucking bad. I pick up my phone and press her contact.

to: Mother
he's coming.

I resist the urge to go off in a rant on how immature and bitchy she is, but instead I shuffle a Spotify playlist and stare ahead waiting for Luke.

After a couple songs have played I see him coming down from his apartment. He's carrying a small backpack and has changed into some actual clothes. He looks fucking hot. He's got his ripped black jeans on and an old slightly oversized band tee with a couple tears in it. He's got a loose chain around his neck and black sunglasses resting on his face. I sit in silence as he gets into the passenger seat and reaches around to set his backpack in the back seat.

"Nice song choice." He comments while putting his seatbelt on.

"Thanks." I mumble, a little too overwhelmed to form a sentence. His tattoos are showing, his hair is messy, he's wearing his rings, piercings, and edgy outfit, he smells like cigarette smoke, and only one single thought is present in my mind.

My family is going to lose their fucking shit.

--

I KNOW ITS SHORT I WILL TRY TO GET ANOTHER OUT TOMORROW

IM SORRY ITS LOWKEY BEEN ALMOST 2 YEARS I SUCK

I don't rly vibe with this story anymore, but I don't just wanna leave y'all hanging so I'm gonna try to wrap it up soonish.

I love you all sm!! <3