☾☼six☼☽

benj pasek and justin paul
if i could tell her
but he kept it all inside
his head, what he saw
he left unsaid.

a/n okay ik it may seem like it but nothing in this is meant to be suggestive in any sort of way i promise ah

☾☼during class☼☽

ava and finn sat in english, both supposed to be writing some sort of poem. which usually wasn't ava's strong suit, however, today she just had so much to say, and figured now was a good time to say it.

finn just sat at his desk, just in front of ava,  he tapped his pencil against his lip as no idea came to his mind. well, not exactly true, he had many ideas, he felt none wouldn't embarrass him. he looked back to ava, focusing on her paper with her tongue peeking out of her mouth.

he pulled out a bright blue sticky note and quickly scribbled a message onto it. he got up, heading to the teachers desk and dropping the note on ava's desk as he passed her.

"wha-" she began, but before she could finish, finn was off, out of hearing range as he got a hall pass. he looked towards her and winked as he left. she rolled her eyes and sighed as she finished her poem and opened the scrunched up sticky note.

meet me in the hall, princess

while she was annoyed with him, she shoved the note in her binder and walked to get a hall pass.

she clutched the small piece of decorated wood as she left the classroom into the mainly empty hall. finn jumped out from behind the closing door grabbing her waist from behind, scaring her and making her giggle.

"finn!" she whisper-shouted, giggling still. "what did you want?"

"to get out of class" he told her, leaning against the brick wall,  glancing at her absently.

"and from me?" she asked him.

"to keep me company" he grinned, having no real reason for her being out there with him.

"we're gonna get caught" she frowned, making him roll his eyes.

"and if we do, we make an excuse. but we won't"

"how are you so sure?" she asked, folding her arms.

"come 'ere" he said grabbing her hand and leading her through the halls to a handicap bathroom.

"finn! i'm not going in there with you! you're gross" she frowned.

"oh come on. we aren't gonna do anything, we'll just talk" he said, faking a pout and turning to her.

"fine" she said, stomping into the tile room with him, making him grin as she checked the empty halls and shut the door.

"so," he began, pulling a small box of cigarettes out of his jacket.

"ew, finn. don't" she pleaded, to which he responded by over-dramatically pulling out a lighter and lighting the stick.

"you don't have to" he told her, sticking it in the middle of his fingers near the top.

"but i might as well be."

"no, aves it's fine" he grinned, grabbing her hand for 'comfort'.

"not really" she said as finn took a large inhale of the cigarette. "you're just breathing cancer."

"it's not a sure thing that you get cancer. like ten percent of lifelong smokers get it" he reasoned, letting out a long puff of nasty smoke.

she made a disgusted face as she swatted it away from her face.

"don't like that, babe?" he said, laughing at her reaction.

"no! it's so disgusting" she said but couldn't help laugh a little.

hearing that, he exhaled over-dramatically, right towards her.

she laughed as she backed up. sadly, the smoke found it's way to the detector, causing a loud alarm to blare through the small room. ava's hands shot up to her ears, covering them as the fire sprinklers began to rain down on the two. finn broke-out in laughter as ava grew used to the noise and dropped her hands to the side, breaking out in her own laughter.

"and this is why you should trust me, ava!" he grinned, seeing her laugh so hard.

"this is just one of the reasons you shouldn't smoke!" she scolded clutching her stomach with laughter. "we should get out, huh?"

"it's kinda nice, don't you think? the water mixed with the smoke. it's so pretty."

"yeah, i guess. the alarm and toilet ruins it just a little, though."

"oh, come on. stop complaining. ignore that and dance with me!" he smiled, grabbing her hands.

"no, there's no music, finn!" she giggled, letting her hands just be pulled around by finn.

"then we'll sing!" he said excitedly, thinking up a song. ava leaned back, grinning at how hard he thought. his mouth suddenly formed an 'o' shape as he thought of the perfect song to sing. "he said, there's nothing like your smile. sort of subtle, and, perfect and real."

"dear evan hansen, hmm?" she laughed as finn took her hands into his.

"you never knew how wonderful that smile could make someone feel." he sung, as they came in slightly closer and swayed to his voice. "and he knew, whenever you got bored you scribble stars on the cuffs of your jeans. and he noticed that you still fill out the quizzes that they put in those teen magazines." she shut her eyes and he pulled her close as she just listened to his voice, which was beautiful in her opinion. "but he kept it inside his head. what he saw he left unsaid. and though he wanted to, he couldn't talk to you. but he would always say," and just as he was about to get to the chorus of the song, someone burst through through the door. it was a young girl, probably freshman, purple hair tied in a bun at the top, she had freckles dotted around her face, mainly covered by a large pair of black framed glasses.

what scared them most is not that someone caught them staying in after a drill, not that the smoke from finn's cigarette still floated through the room. it was because the girl wore a black shirt and in a bright red font read the words 'stranger things', and before they could say anything, she pulled out her phone and snapped a photo of the two, finn still frozen holding her.

"i-uh-you need to leave now" she told them awkwardly as she stuffed her phone in her pocket and walked away shyly. ava swallowed the lump that formed in her throat as she looked at him for a moment then pushed him away. awkwardly, she pushed her wet hair out of her face and let her gaze drop to the ground as she left.

"fucK!" finn shouted, kicking at a soap bottle that had fallen onto the floor.

he wasn't even sure what had made him the most angry, the fact that he was caught with a girl that wasn't millie, and so the fandom would hate on both him and ava. or if it was because he had finally got somewhat of a chance with ava, and it was ruined. but whatever it was, he was hella mad and that was for sure.