Chapter Eleven

Lowborn temples, it appeared, were incredibly similar to Highborn temples. It felt strangely soothing to be in such a familiar - and calming - environment.

The calm was taken away when worshipers' heads started to turn and murmurs followed me as we exited the medical ward and strode toward a door located in the wall across the prayer room.

The mere fact that there was a specified prayer room instead of the entirety of the temple being dedicated to worship was the largest difference between Lowborn and Highborn temples. Within the castle, there was a room or building dedicated to any purpose imaginable. This particular Lowborn temple, however, seemed to also contain a medical center and acted as a schoolhouse, judging by the many young children underfoot.

I wanted to linger at the gods' statues, draw strength from my fond memories of praying with my mother, but Moon moved quickly and purposefully. I was nearly jogging just trying to keep up.

The priestess pushed open the door on the other side of the prayer room and I saw over her shoulder that it led outside, to a small courtyard. Most of the grass was dead while the dirt riddled with footprints and other, indecipherable marks such as gouges and small, circular indents. There was a high wall (that was uncomfortably reminiscent of the one surrounding the castle) that connected to the church and formed a half circle. This half-circle courtyard was around twenty feet wide and thirty or so feet long.

Racks of weapons lined the curved wall, almost all of them wooden. The only exceptions were small metal darts that men - and women, strangely enough - practiced launching at human-shaped targets through wooden tubes, next  to others shooting bows and crossbows. Most of the courtyard seemed to be dedicated to swordplay, though.

The sword-fights were odd. Not only were women fighting, children no older than thirteen ducked and weaved to avoid their opponents' weapons, some even fighting with adults. Still other Lowborns fought two or three people at once.

The other thing that struck me as odd was how quiet everything was. Aside from the whistle of released bowstrings and darts moving through tubes, the thuds that came as a result of those actions, the clacking of wood on wood, and the occasional grunt from a sword-fighter, there was nearly no sound. I realized with a surprised jolt that this entire courtyard must be a secret from the entire outside world, which was just one wall away. It was a terrifying thought.

Training slowed and then stopped as people began to catch sight of me and started pointing me out to their friends or sparring partners. I felt myself flush red at being the object of so many Lowborn stares. Had one of them stared like this at me in the palace, it would have taken all of my negotiation skills used on Audric to save them from a punishment of public flogging. I doubted any of them realized who I was, however, seeing as I had never been outside the palace walls, but they obviously knew I was someone important by my dress. I have got to change.

Moon cleared her throat and spoke just loudly enough that her message could be heard by everyone in the courtyard, although I was sure she was quieter than her loudest volume to keep outside eavesdroppers in the dark. "This is Princess Alexia, the youngest Fairmeadow child," she announced. Several harshly murmured words and sharp intakes of breath followed her words. "Trust me, she means us no harm. Quite the contrary - she wishes to join us and help us in our quest for equality and fairness in our kingdom."

Nobody clapped or cheered, which a small part of me had been expecting. After all, I was their princess, and I had sacrificed everything to help them. I deserved some sort of recognition. As it was, they just all stared silently at me.

Moon turned to me, her voice now quiet so that only I could hear. "The entirety of the Phoenix People will know by sunrise, no doubt. Now, I'll show you to your temporary quarters."

Where will I be going next? I wondered, confused by her use of the word "temporary," as I followed the priestess back into the church.

A small door that I had previously assumed led to the chambers of the lowlier priests was our destination. Moon shoved it open, barely pausing as she did so, and I stumbled as it slammed into my shoulder with unexpected force. Oak held it open behind me with Melody taking up the rear. 

It felt strange not to be traveling side by side with my former handmaiden. She had been nearly a constant at my side for five years. Now she had a name, a loving mother, caring friends, and a great deal of contempt for me. I couldn't quite blame her for that, though.

"So, Princess, what's your story?" Moon asked idly as we walked down the hallway.

"Melody didn't tell you?" I asked, trying to remember our time in the church. My ex-handmaiden had explained my situation to Robin and Oak...

"All I know is that you're the princess."

"I...found out what Audric - the king - is doing. It's twisted and wrong." Every time I said the words, my conviction of the truth they held strengthened.

Moon raised her eyebrows. "So you left your siblings, just like that?"

"Siblings?"

"Your brother and sister," she enunciated as if I was slow.

"You don't know?" I glanced behind me, Oak's confused face confirming my suspicions. I took a deep breath. "My sister's missing. She vanished without a trace last year. Right after my sixteenth birthday." My voice trembled and I fought back my tears.

"Melody." Oak's voice was low and angry, a strange emotion on the seemingly calm man, and I remembered that Melody was supposed to have been the Phoenix People's spy. Had she been supposed to spy on my older sister as well?

"My mission was to spy on Alexia and find out what she knew. In doing so, I also learned that Alia knew nothing, so her disappearance wasn't important," Melody defended herself coldly. 

Before I could stop myself or think it through, I whirled on my heel and slapped her.

"My sister was the most important part of my life," I whispered furiously. "And your princess."

Melody glowered at me, hand covering her reddening cheek. "What does any of that matter to the revolution?" she growled.

We had stopped walking. Moon cleared her throat nervously. "Princess Alexia..."

I turned back to her, trembling. "What?"

"Your room is to your right. Melody, you're across the hall. Oak - "

"I'm not staying," Oak interrupted politely. Both of them were pretending nothing had just transpired between Melody and me. "Got to get back to work."

"I thought so," the matronly woman said affectionately. "Girls, there are fresh clothes in your rooms."

Oak embraced Melody. "it was wonderful to see you again, Melody, dear," he said gently. "Good work and good luck."

Turning to me, he smiled and said, his words genuine, "It may be hard at first, but trust me, you're a valuable asset to the rebellion." We shook hands once more and he departed.

"Now, girls," Moon said sternly, her cheery demeanor gone, "this is a church. Keep your tempers in check."