Chapter Sixty-Six

I am told that the Phoenix People battling outside of the throne room won the fight before news of the king's death even reached them.

I wouldn't know, of course. I spent a good time - although I have little idea how long exactly - kneeling over Audric's body, sobbing.

I had lost the last of my family. I was finally, truly alone.

Finally, Melody tapped my shoulder hesitantly. "Princess," she whispered. Then, she cleared her throat. "Queen."

"Don't call me that!" I exploded, a new bout of tears streaming down my face. I still allowed Melody to haul me to my feet, anyhow. I followed her out of the throne room and through the hallways of the castle, through the cheering hoards of rebels. They all quieted as I passed, stricken by my grieved appearance.

I entered some bedroom and fell into the bed. Melody sat on the end, watching me worriedly.

I closed my eyes and slept.

*

When I awoke, everything ached.

Then, everything came crashing back.

I gasped from the sheer emotional pain of it all. Slowly, I picked myself up.

I recognized this pain from when my parents had passed. It didn't even matter that this was on a whole new level, now accompanied by regret and guilt.

I would survive this. I always had.

There came a slight knock at my door. I stood shakily as Anna entered. There was a mixture of sadness and hope in her young features.

"There's someone here who you might want to see," she whispered.

My brow furrowed. "Who could she possibly be referring to? Griffin or Theo, most likely..

It took me a moment to place the woman who slowly walked into my room, glancing furtively around.

When I did, I swayed on my feet, rendered speechless with my shock.

"Alexia," Alia breathed.

"We found her in the dungeons," Anna explained.

Alia held up a hand as I opened my mouth. "Please," she said softly. "I don't want to talk about it."

I nodded. There were things I did not want to discuss as well. "There is much else to talk about," I agreed.

"Like how you're going to be queen," Alia suggested.

I shook my head slightly. "What? No, wait. We will discuss that later. Alia, you're home."

Alia nodded slowly. She pressed her hand over her mouth, her eyes filling with tears. Mine did the same.

In the same instant, we flew across the room and into each other's arms, bursting into tears.

I breathed in the scent of my sister, felt her familiar shape - although she had lost some weight and gained some muscle, just as I had - and the sharp pain in my heart softened ever so slightly.

*

My friends and sister were wonderful about not pushing me. My coronation was held a full week after the death of the king.

In that week, there were riots in the Highborn community, plans were already being sketched out for various projects, and I was becoming reacquainted with the palace library, which Anna instantly fell in love with.

Finally, however, the day arrived.

I had just picked out my fanciest gown from the very wardrobe where I had first found Melody when the woman herself entered, as if summoned by the memory.