Chapter Forty-Five

Returning the cup, I stroked Jack's tiny head.

"My life was wonderful...before my sister became pregnant with a Lowborn child. She left our family out of fear of being discovered. I was the only one who knew the shameful secret, but I couldn't bear to see her leave. So I followed her and, in doing so, found a rebel group called the Phoenix People. I was caught while living with them. The king didn't even bother holding a trial for me. He simply deemed me a traitor and exiled me here, to the Outlands."

The Outlanders exchanged glances. I swallowed nervously. Here come the questions.

"How long were you with the Phoenix People?" Sky asked.

"Several months. Three or four."

"So your sister's child remains unborn?"

I paused, quickly doing the mental math to make sure I didn't give myself away. "Yes."

The other woman butted in, voice hard and unforgiving. "What mission were you on when you were captured?"

Shifting Jack to better show my clothing, I gestured to my dress. "Undercover at a ball."

"Why were you caught?"

"I was stupid."

"How so?"

"Why do you need to know all of this? Last I checked, Outlanders weren't interested in Fairmeadow politics."

"We aren't," Sky replied easily.

"We aren't the most trusting people," the darker-skinned man explained dryly.

"Why?" I asked. Maybe if I focused the attention on the Outlanders, their rapid-fire questioning would come to a close.

"Because - " The lighter-skinned man stopped and glanced at his companions, unsure of whether or not he should continue.

"It is just our way, I suppose," Sky jumped in.

"Well, you can trust me," I assured them firmly. "All I want is to get back to the capital. I have no interest in meddling with your business."

"Before we discuss that," the icy woman said, "tell us about the baby."

"Tell me your names first," I returned, gesturing to the trio. 

The woman sighed noisily. "Fine. I'm Clearwater."

"Sandrunner," the lighter man piped in.

"Moonhopper," the darker man contributed.

I furrowed my brow. "I don't mean to offend, but those are rather odd names."

"We take offense," Clearwater replied stonily. "Tell us about the baby."

I sighed. "His name is Jack."

"You said he was yours?" asked Sky.

I considered claiming this as the truth, but it was too exhausting to uphold so many deceptions. I had other things to focus on. "He's actually a changeling," I explained. "His Lowborn mother is...likely dead."

"Likely?" Moonhopper asked in confusion.

"She was on trial for treason at the same time I was being banished," I replied. "Lowborns never win trials - to the best of my knowledge." The last bit I tacked on because there was one deception that I was forced to upkeep - my identity as a Highborn noble. I had to be more careful in which knowledge I expressed.

"That is unfortunate," Sandrunner replied, sounding genuinely sorry.

"Unfortunate?" I snapped. "It's a lot more than unfortunate, wouldn't you agree?"