Chapter Fifty-Four

Eventually, Annamarie left so I could rest. Worn out from my emotional breakdown, I quickly fell asleep.

*

When I woke up, I had no idea how much time had passed. However, a small table had been placed next to me with a couple of glasses of water and a plate of food on it.

I eagerly tore into the food and was done with it and one of the glasses of water in a matter of minutes.

As I was sipping on my water, fighting back waves of nausea at my rapid eating, Anna entered the room. Her face lit up to see me awake and she hurried to my side.

"How are you feeling?" she asked anxiously.

"I'm fine." My stomach roiled and I raised a hand to my mouth in concern. Anna eyed me apprehensively as I took a deep breath. "I just ate too fast."

Anna nodded understandingly. "Let me know if you need anything else."

I frowned as I realized that she was now my full-time caretaker. "I'm sorry that you can't go out on missions because of me."

Anna sighed, irritation flooding her features. "Even if I wasn't caring for you, I wouldn't be allowed to go on missions."

"Why not? Your magic could be a huge asset."

"That's what I told them!" Anna exclaimed. "They wouldn't listen to me."

"That's not fair."

"Exactly!" Anna took a long, measured look at me and said thoughtfully, "I missed you, Alexia."

"I missed you, too." I glanced toward the doorway and leaned forward, lowering my voice. "I missed everyone, of course, but I missed you most of all."

A slow smile spread over Anna's face. I grinned as well. This must be what having a younger sister feels like.

"You know," I said, "I don't know if you would have liked the Outlanders, but I bet you would have loved their lifestyle."

"How so?" Anna asked eagerly.

Although I didn't want to discuss it, I felt as though it might be therapeutic. I launched into stories of the clothing, tents, and Skimmers. Anna drank in every word eagerly, her eyes wide.

I had missed this: having a friend. For so long after Alia's disappearance, I had been alone in the palace. Then, I had found companions not only in Anna, but also in Theo and Griffin. And then I had been banished, and even after living alone prior to the Phoenix People, the absence of a friendly face in the desert had hurt.

Theo and Griffin entered the room after a while and stood quietly against one wall, waiting until I had finished describing the free-spirited Outlander children.

"Hello," I greeted them.

Griffin raised his hand in greeting. "We just wanted to stop by and say goodbye."

"Goodbye?" My good mood dimmed.

"We're going on a mission," Theo explained.

"Where to?"

"I don't think we're allowed to tell anyone," Griffin said apologetically, glancing at Theo, who nodded.

I nodded as well. "I understand."

"We're heading out in a few minutes," Theo said.

"I wish you the best of luck," I replied sincerely. "Thank you for everything."

"Of course." Theo nodded, then took Griffin's hand. Together, they left my room.

Anna glanced at me. "Do you think you're well enough to get up?" she asked.

I swung my legs out of bed, gathered what little strength I had, and stood. My vision went black for a split second and I nearly fell. Anna leapt to her feet and caught me just in time.

"I'm fine," I assured her, although my labored breathing hinted otherwise. I pulled myself from her and took a few experimental steps.

"Would you like to practice magic?" Anna asked after a few seconds, almost shyly, as if she was embarassed at herself.

"Yes, please," I replied. If I wanted to defeat Audric, I had to be prepared, both mentally and magically.

Anna lowered her voice with her next words. "You're not really supposed to go aboveground, but I could take you up to the church."

I remembered the church and its secret courtyard - training with Theo and Griffin, learning the basics of self-defense.

Meeting Grace and the three children.

"Please, let's."

*

For a rebellion on high alert, the Phoenix People that we passed were incredibly unobservant. I chalked it up to the fact that many of them seemed to be in a great hurry, or perhaps they had forgotten me. It allowed Anna and I to pass by unnoticed.

Anna led me through the familiar trapdoor and into the sickbay, which was dishearteningly full.

"Where are you keeping Jack?" I asked as she peeked out of the doorway to make sure the coast was clear.

"He's underground with a group of children who have been recently orphaned," Anna replied casually, as if discussing the weather.

"Are those many people dying?" I asked, aghast at the thought of multiple orphaned children.

"Unfortunately, yes." Anna bit her lip. "My father, in fact, went on a mission recently that got intercepted by palace soldiers. Fifteen people went on the mission. Four, including my father, returned. The king is no longer taking prisoners."

So my brother had abandoned all pretenses of civility. I gritted my teeth.

"Now!" Anna hissed, grabbing my hand and yanking me forward. We broke into a run across the painfully exposed church, not stopping until we were outside. I slouched against the wall, dizziness almost overtaking me at the physical exertion.

The courtyard was much emptier than the first time I had been here. Only a few People were sparring. Two women were sitting silently together, staring at nothing. I grimaced at the deadness of their eyes.

Anna led me into a secluded corner. I glanced around self-consciously and breathed a sigh of relief when I found all the Lowborns ignoring me. I remembered all too well the shocked reception I had received upon first arriving.

I smiled ruefully. What a different woman I had been back then.

"Alexia?" Anna asked, dragging me from my memories. "Ready to begin?"

"Yes," I replied, flexing my hands.

"Remember the courage spell I taught you? Let's review that."

I was incredibly glad to finally be getting back to something concrete, something I could focus on. As weak as I was, I still pushed myself to the limit.

There was a list of things I was trying not to think about.