Chapter Thirty

Annamarie and I practiced the confidence-boosting spells until my magical stamina, much weaker than the child's, failed me.

"That was amazing," I proclaimed as we returned to our temporary campsite. "It...it makes me feel so powerful!"

Anna grinned. "Well, that's the point. I occasionally give it to people before they go into battle."

"You can transfer spells to others?" I asked, surprised. I had never heard of such a thing.

"Yes, but the magic is instantly taken away from me. Say that you sustained a spell - upon yourself - for an hour. The magic slowly drains, giving you time to know when to stop, right? But it instantly drains if you transfer an hour's worth of a spell to someone. It's quite unfortunate for the People's purposes since only a couple Lowborns can have magic at a time - which doesn't do much in the thick of battle. My father is researching revolutionary ways to fix that particular inconvenience." Anna's voice filled with pride as she spoke of her parent.

My curiosity as to his identity grew. A Highborn, dedicating his position in the revolution to magical research...few Highborns did that for the good of their own kind, let alone another race. Unless...

My thoughts were interrupted by Melody and Theo loudly returning from their sword fighting. Their faces shone with sweat and they were both grinning widely. I was glad to see the former calm and happy.

"How'd it go?" I asked.

"Same old," Theo replied. "She bested me nearly every time."

"Nearly every time? When did you win?" Melody demanded teasingly. Theo rolled his eyes at her but smiled.

"How much longer do you think we'll be here?" Anna intervened, tapping her hands on her knees impatiently.

Melody raised her gaze to the sky to check the position of the sun. "Not too much longer now," she guessed, shrugging to show that it wasn't an exact measurement. "It's been a couple of hours. I would guess one or two more."

Anna groaned, sinking to the ground and leaning against a tree trunk like I was. I felt the same way - hungry, thirsty, tired, the effects of the courage-boosting spells quickly leaving my body. What were we to do until help came?

Melody snapped her fingers. "We could start walking towards camp! That way, we'll close the distance between us and the arriving horses."

Although my legs and arms were aching and cramping, and I had a dull headache from my magic practice, I quickly agreed. After all, this time, I wouldn't be carrying a thing but myself. Plus, it beat sitting around, being driven out of our minds with boredom.

Theo, being the largest, strapped the medical bag to his back. After a quick spell, Anna confirmed that we were walking in the right direction and we started off.

Without having to worry about Griffin, I could focus on the beautiful scenery around me. The wounded man's stretcher had been left hidden behind its tree, but I had thought to grab my cane from atop it, so I was also free of pain in my leg.

Birds twittered cheerily. A small animal snapped a twig nearby. The hoofprints of Glimmer's horse occasionally showed in the dirt.

All of us seemed far cheerier on this walk. Melody and Theo conversed quietly while Anna had quite a spring in her step. We would soon be free of these woods!

Soon, though, this optimism wore off and the true pain set in. Still, I forged onwards, focusing on every step and relying more and more heavily on my cane.

"Just a little longer," Melody called back encouragingly as if sensing our failing spirits. I simply nodded in reply, not wasting any of my breath on speech.

Step after step, closer and closer to camp. Closer and closer...

I thought back to the girl I had been a week ago. Had I been told that in mere days, I would be trapped in the forest with my handmaiden-turned-rebel, a traitorous Highborn, and a halfbreed child, I would have laughed out loud at such a preposterous idea. "I'm the princess," I would have said scornfully, "not a rebel."

For some reason, that phrase stuck with me. A princess...not a rebel. I didn't belong here - who was I kidding? And what exactly was I trying to prove?

But then, I couldn't just return to my brother. Even if he would let me back in the palace, he would doubtless question me until I revealed all I knew.

I was in far too deep now. I had made my mistakes, and now I had to atone for them. Such was life.

Life wasn't like this before, a small voice in my head pointed out sulkily.

No. In my life before, other people had paid for my mistakes. In what way was that just? I had to grow up, accept my own burdens - be they a failed test with my tutors or joining a rebellion that betrayed my blood.

I thought of the adventure novels I loved so much. It was high time I followed the lead of their fearless heroes.

These were the thoughts I had in mind when hoofbeats sounded in the distance.

*

The councilmembers were the ones to retrieve us.

"Once we are back at camp, you will tell us exactly what you saw," the councilwoman who had previously spoken to us ordered.

"Yes, ma'am," Melody replied. Then, hesitantly: "What happened to Glimmer, ma'am?"

"That is none of your business, Melody," the woman responded sharply. Then, hesitating, she softened slightly. "She received a stern talking-to and her situation is currently being evaluated."

"Thank you, ma'am," Melody murmured respectfully, starting towards one of the horses roped to the councilwoman's steed.

I headed for a horse behind another one of the cloaked councilmembers. It was not my previous mare, but rather, a gentle stallion. He nickered softly as I mounted him.

The councilmembers carefully turned around, not freeing our horses. Then, we started towards camp at a brisk pace.

We're returning to camp. We're safe.