Chapter Fifty-Seven

For hours, we worked on nearly every aspect of sword fighting, from stance to balance, from offense to defense. My energy began to wane and, as hunger set in, I began to get irritable.

"Damn!" I cursed as Wren's attack sent my sword clattering to the ground yet again.

"I think we'll call it a day," Wren decided slowly as I picked up my weapon. Relieved, I returned the sword to the rack.

"Thank you," I told her, remembering my manners.

"Of course. Meet here tomorrow, same time?"

"Certainly," I replied, ignoring my already aching muscles.

Anna had returned belowground an hour or so ago to attend to some business. Too hungry to wait for her, I hurried to the common room alone and got dinner.

Anna didn't enter the room until I was nearly finished with my meal. When she did, her face was split in a huge grin. I quickly saw why.

"Welcome back, Princess," Melody greeted me warmly from behind Anna.

Without thinking, I stood and rushed to hug her. She stiffened in my arms and I was about to pull away, embarrassed, when she relaxed into the embrace.

Finally, we pulled away from one another. "Are you all right, Princess?" Melody asked, searching my face anxiously.

Truthfully? I was still struggling with the updates on my sister, accepting the role of mother, and even coming to terms with the idea of killing my own brother. More importantly, however, I was approaching prime physical condition and fast improving in my combat skills.

I gave Melody the easy answer, the one I knew she would want to hear. "Yes, I'm fine."

Melody smiled and patted my shoulder. "The time is near," she reminded me, her grin widening.

"Indeed." Glancing at Anna, I asked the child, "Do you need food?"

She shook her head. "Melody brought me some."

Glancing around, Melody furtively reached into her pocket and pulled out a familiar, fluffy treat. My eyes widened in shock.

"Palace pastries?" I hissed, grabbing the baked good from her. "What was your mission?"

Melody held a warning finger to her lips as I slipped the pastry into my pocket. "I'm not allowed to tell anyone in full," she explained in a whisper, "but I was working in the kitchens."

I furrowed my brow. "Wouldn't that be dangerous, since you already worked there as a handmaiden?"

Melody raised her eyebrows. "Describe one of the palace chefs to me. Just one."

I shrugged. "I never went in the - oh." I felt myself blushing. How could I not have paid attention to the very people who fed me?

Melody chuckled and then, recognizing someone across the room, bid us farewell. Anna and I returned to our room, where I devoured the pastry and quickly fell fast asleep.

*

The next few days passed in a routine blur. Each day, Anna and I rose early to catch what little breakfast remained, took Jack aboveground while I worked with Anna, and returned him belowground as I trained with Wren. Sometimes, Melody and August were kind enough to watch the child as I worked with my instructor, which I always felt better about.

In the evenings, bruised and sore, I met Anna in the common room and ate dinner. Then, we fell asleep early so we would have the energy to repeat the process.

Finally, after about four days of this painful monotony, Theo and Griffin returned.

They had been smuggled back into the base late at night. Anna and I discovered them eating breakfast in the common room the next morning, Griffin leaning against Theo and both looking half-asleep.

Anna squealed with excitement and raced over to them. I followed her as quickly as my aching legs would allow.

"When did you two get back?" Anna demanded, bouncing slightly.

"Last night," Theo replied, pressing a hand to the back of his mouth to stifle a yawn.

"How did your mission go?"

"Well. Really well." Theo suppressed another yawn. "The council's gonna come talk today."

"Talk?" Anna repeated as I asked, "About what?"

Theo shrugged. "They just told us to get the word out to as many people as possible." He rubbed his eyes as Griffin rested his head on his beau's shoulder.

"I'll go tell everyone in the courtyard," Anna declared excitedly, turning on her heel. I grabbed her wrist.

"It's too early in the morning. Not everyone'll be there yet," I reminded her. "Also - breakfast."

"Oh. Right." Anna sighed impatiently as I left to fetch us food.

After breakfast, we hurried to the courtyard without checking on Jack. For that, I felt guilty, but if the council needed to reach as many people as possible, we had to help spread the word.

When Wren arrived, she called off my training session for the day, much to my relief.

"I'll stay up here," she told me as we strode into the church. "Go get your little one."

Grinning, I raced belowground to the orphan room. "The council's coming," I told their caretaker excitedly.

His eyes lit up. "Where? When?"

"People are gathering in Public Area One," I told him, scooping up Jack.

I turned to leave, but the man called after me desperately, "Please, could you help me move the children?"

"Of course."

The six-year-old was doing much better. She was very devoted to and protective of her little sister, who absolutely adored the attention. There were five other children in total, aside from Jack.

"Take your sister out into the hallway, please," I told the six-year-old gently. As she did as she was told, I scooped up one of the toddlers and looked helplessly at the remaining children. Since the crippled man used a cane, he could only carry one, leaving two children.

I scooted Jack to my chest. "Hold onto my neck, sweetie," I murmured to him, helping him wrap his painfully thin arms around me. Now I had a free arm to carry one of the remaining children with me. The other toddled along beside me, grabbing my leg when he felt unbalanced.

It took us longer to get to the common room than I would have linked, and since I was worried that Jack would fall, I had my hands awkwardly positioned beneath him.

Finally, we reached the common room. It was swarming with Phoenix People. I helped the orphans and their caretaker find a free spot by the wall to settle into, keeping Jack with me as I bid them farewell.