Chapter Twenty-Seven

Almost instantly, the details of Melody's plan sunk in. We were to carry Griffin for hours, days.

Anna voiced my concerns. "Melody, we can't. Alexia is hurt and I'm not strong enough."

Melody glanced at her darkly. "Do you have a better plan that doesn't involve sitting in this cave, holding our breath until Griffin is either healed or dead?" she demanded harshly.

I was taken aback by her biting tone, as well as her awful words. She had never used that sort of voice within Anna. The preteen, too, looked shocked. By Melody's expression, I could tell that she regretted her words and their inflection, but she neither retracted them or apologized.

"Let's go begin on the stretcher," she decided quietly after an awkward moment had passed, climbing to her feet. Anna and I were quick to follow, wishing also to forget her last comment.

Again, Melody's aptitude staggered me. She knew which branches were of the right strength and which trees to target. After she had cut off the needed branches, she quickly identified a tree being slowly strangled by climbing plants and chopped off the offending vines.

Melody had left the task of arranging the branches in a checkerboard shape to Anna and myself. We made the squares as even and consistent as possible, finishing just as she returned with the swathes of vines. She bent and efficiently cut off a chunk of the plant.

"Cut pieces of vine this large," she ordered, gesturing with one of her daggers to what she had cut. Anna and I nodded and drew our own blades.

The task was easy but monotonous. As we cut pieces of the vine, Melody used them to tie the branches firmly in place.

Finally, the stretcher was done. It looked horrendously uncomfortable, but I couldn't help feeling proud of it regardless.

We returned to the cave to explain our creation and plan to Theo. I glanced down at my waist to sheathe my dagger as we entered the makeshift abode. Then, my gaze raised and I stopped in shock.

Griffin was awake and seated upright. His arms were wrapped around Theo's neck and the two were kissing passionately.

I instantly felt a blush flooding my cheeks. I had never heard of - let alone witnessed - a man kissing another man. Such things didn't happen among the Highborns.

I glanced at Anna and Melody, expecting them to be as shocked as I was. However, I found them both watching me, biting their lips to hold back grins, eyes dancing.

"You knew?" I hissed as Anna pressed a hand to her mouth to keep from giggling at my reaction.

"You didn't?" Melody retorted, although not unkindly. Her words made me think over the (albeit short) time that I had known Theo and Griffin, and several formerly confusing pieces fell into place.

Theo pulled away from Griffin. The latter glanced over the former's shoulder and noticed us. The skin around his eyes crinkled into a smile as he said a few words to Theo. The latter turned, smiling, and beckoned us over unconcernedly.

Anna hurried to Griffin's side and enveloped the man in a gentle hug, obviously still mindful of his injuries. "Thank goodness you're okay," she breathed, relieved.

Marie joined them on the cave floor. I hung back, embarrassed and unsure as to where my place was.

"Alexia," Griffin said when Anna pulled away. Everyone turned their attention to me. "I wanted to thank you. I don't remember exactly what happened out there, but I do know that you saved my life."

I shrugged, my embarrassment heightening. "I got injured as well."

"Not as bad as I did," Griffin replied, mock challenging, grinning and gesturing to his heavily bandaged side.

"Not quite," I admitted, returning the smile tentatively.

"We built you a stretcher," Melody told him. "I thought we could cover it with the mats to make it more comfortable - carry you that way."

"A ride in style. Sounds good to me." Griffin's grin widened and he held out his arms. "You'll have to help me get outside, though."

Theo willingly hooked his arm around the wounded man's chest. Melody helped him on his other side.

"Grab the mats," Melody instructed Anna and me as she, Theo, and Griffin struggled to their feet. Anna and I did as we were asked, each grabbing two mats. I left the final mat to come back for later.

We hurried ahead of the awkward trio and positioned the mats on the stretcher. Anna had time to fetch the final cloth and place it on top of the pile due to their slow progress. Every step was obviously filled with pain and effort for Griffin.

Melody made the right choice, I decided as Griffin gasped for air. If he can't even make it the length of this small cave without assistance, how long will it be before he can walk alone again?

Melody and Theo laid him down as carefully as possible on top of the stretcher. His face was already shiny with sweat.

"I don't think I can describe how badly this hurts," he wheezed. "It feels as though my innards are on fire."

I cringed at the description as Anna moved to his side. She closed her eyes and ran her hands over his body, performing the same magical spell that she had on me. "Well, they're not," she assured him finally. "But I do think the dead skin is getting infected. Something isn't right."

"Besides the gash on my side?" Griffin asked dryly and I silently remarked at his ability for such sarcastic humor at such a long time.

"Yes," Anna replied seriously, not finding any humor in the situation. "Gods, I wish I knew healing spells!" Her tone changed to frustrated and angry - only at herself.

"I'll check it tonight," Theo decided grimly. I was about to ask why he didn't do it sooner when I realized: we had to get moving now, so we could cover as much ground as possible before nightfall.

How in the world are we going to do this?

Melody returned back into the cave to ensure no trace of our presence remained. Anna took our crude bowl to the stream to collect water for our trip. It was unsure if there were any more bodies of water between here and the camp, which was a terrifying prospect.

It was decided that Melody and I would control the back poles and Theo and Anna would take the front. Anna and I were positioned diagonally - I assumed so that the stretcher could have stable corners with the two strongest members of our group.

We assumed our positions. I grabbed the small bit of extruding pole with both hands and braced myself as best I could - my cane was resting beside Griffin and my harmed leg was already twinging uncomfortably.

Now we were all bent over the stretcher in preparation. Melody counted down: "Three...two...one!"

I pushed down with both legs as I pulled the stretcher upwards. Gasping with the sudden, burning pain in my injured leg, I gritted my teeth and focused on keeping the contraption level.

"That was terrifying," Griffin said through clenched teeth after a moment.

"Let's go," Melody growled.