Chapter Sixty-Five

My blood ran cold and my knees felt weak. Just hearing his voice brought back so many memories.

I felt a hand on my back and, startled, whirled to find A standing there, the rest of the council hurriedly emerging from the battle. I was relieved to see them all alive.

"Are you ready?" she asked gently.

I took a deep breath, turned, and entered the throne room.

Audric was sitting on his throne, reclining leisurely. His chin was propped on his hand and he regarded me cooly, eyebrows raised.

"The rest of your little...entourage...can come in as well," Audric said distastefully, gesturing to the open doorway behind me.

I stepped aside to allow the others entry. Melody entered first, and Audric nodded slightly.

"I was beginning to suspect you."

Anna was close behind her.

"A child? Oh, you people must be desperate."

Then came the head mage.

"Oh." Audric was rendered speechless for several seconds before attempting to regain his casual attitude. "You were always a fool."

Finally, the council filed in one by one.

"Well, I can't say that I'm familiar with you folks." Audric stood and stretched lazily.

A blast of light and sound flew through the air. All of us flinched except for Anna, whose hand was extended towards my brother. Her expression was steely.

The attack sailed direct and true towards Audric's chest - and rebounded off of an invisible force. He smiled coldly.

"Force field. And it's not draining my energy." He reached into his tunic to fish out an amulet hanging around his neck by a thick leather cord. I recognized it instantly.

There were ancient sources of magic, objects into which, allegedly, the first Highborns had poured the remnants of their souls. They were incredibly valuable. They were also completely fictitious.

Or so I had thought.

"Is...is that...?" Anna's father breathed.

"Not quite," Audric replied, holding up a finger. "This is a very powerful magical item, sure - but its power comes about a bit differently than legend would have you believe."

His self-satisfied tone made my stomach churn, as did the possibilities of what he was about to say. My brother had no limits - I had finally recognized that when Grace was thrown into that dungeon cell with me.

"All - or most - Highborns contain some magical ability. Imagine an object that could...take that magic from them as they died." Audric raised his eyebrows and tapped the amulet meaningfully.

I felt bile rising in my throat. Killing his own people so that he could be safe? My brother had truly hit rock bottom. He had to be stopped.

But how? That amulet had the power of gods-know-how-many innocent Highborns charging it. I cast a glance around at my friends, desperately hoping one of them knew how to destroy it.

Melody, Anna, and the head mage looked completely lost. The councilmembers still had their hoods up, making their faces unreadable, but I doubted even they had heard of this particular form of magic.

An idea hit me so suddenly that I gasped.

Before anyone could react, I stepped forward, forcing a grin to play over my lips. "Finally, brother, you've made something of yourself."