Chapter Thirty-Three

Life in the Phoenix People headquarters was unlike anything I had ever experienced before, or anything I would probably ever experience again.

In the hopes of keeping the camp a secret, its residents had to constantly remain abnormally quiet. It was deeply unnerving to watch groups of young children play across the bridges and in and out of treehouses without ever uttering a single word.

I spent most of my time over the next few days exploring the treehouses, chatting quietly with Annamarie, or training in the nearby forest with Melody. Melody was a ruthless teacher who had no qualms about releasing powerful physical attacks upon me. Every night I fell asleep sore and bruised, but I was quickly improving.

One morning, Theo interrupted Melody and me mid-training session, hissing as loudly as he dared, "Griffin can walk! We ride at noon."

I didn't have much to pack except for a few outfits I had been given by some kindly camp residents. After that, I tagged along with Melody as she said farewell to a few families and, finally, Glimmer.

Glimmer was to be kept in camp and given busywork to keep her distracted from the outside world. She would also occasionally be given permission to go on short horse rides through the forest - with a chaperone, of course. I thought the whole situation sounded awful, but Glimmer seemed to like the plan. Then again, Melody certainly hadn't used the terms "busywork" and "distracted" while explaining it to her.

"You're leaving so soon?" Glimmer asked softly once Melody broke the news to her.

"Yes, Glimmer," Melody replied gently. "I have to."

"Why?"

"It's for the Phoenix People."

Glimmer's face screwed up and suddenly, she passionately cried out, "Hang the Phoenix People!"

"Glimmer!" Melody exclaimed, appalled.

"I want you to stay with me," Glimmer implored. "I'm lonely."

Melody bit her lip. "I'll visit," she promised. "I can visit you more now."

Glimmer thought for a moment and then pointed at me. I flinched, startled by the sudden attention.

"Will she visit?" the madwoman asked.

Melody obviously wasn't sure how to respond. She glanced at me before replying, "The princess might visit, yes."

"Good." Glimmer grinned. "I like her."

"I like you, too, Glimmer," I told her sincerely, returning her smile.

"We have to go now, Glimmer," Melody said. "Goodbye."

Glimmer hugged her. When they released one another, I could see that Melody was fighting back glistening tears.

"Bye," Glimmer said anticlimactically, waving farewell to us as we exited her treehouse. I returned her childish wave.

Outside, Melody paused and sighed. "Goodbyes never get easier," she murmured thoughtfully as she stared into the treetops.

I wasn't sure what to say. After a moment, Melody sighed, lowering the rope ladder, and we climbed to the ground.

*

When our horses, at last, galloped out of the forest, it prompted a wonderfully rejuvenating feeling. I had had quite enough of those woods and was very glad to be returning to civilization.

We retraced the path that we had previously taken to reach headquarters, returning our horses to the stables.

Instead of entering the underground base the same way through which we had exited, however, we snuck into Harmony's shop once again.