Chapter 2

"It is not acceptable Maya and it has happened more than one occasion."

Maya's boss (who is called Jamie) is in his late forties. Although he has some short white stubble hairs poking out,  he looks quite young for his age. He goes to the gym very often and stays fit. Maya has met his wife who is just as attractive.

"I'm sorry but I just can't have you working here anymore." He shakes his head.

"No It won't happen again I promise."

She knew without this job she would struggle to pay for rent. Even though it's a little coffee shop downtown, it has supported her financially.

"Look, I know that recently my behaviour and attitude has not been pleasant, however I promise this will be the last time I'm late. So could you just please give me one more chance." She says desperately.

Jamie stares at her for a while before he finally throws the apron at her which she instantly catches.

"Last chance Maya, you screw this and you're done."

"I won't Jamie."

Whilst working, she couldn't stop thinking about yesterday. She didn't even bother to turn up for work or inform anyone of her absence (hence why Jamie is annoyed with her). But how could she? Not knowing what had happened was haunting her. She spent the day going through her room over and over again searching for any clues but there was nothing. The only clue she had was on her body and her clothes. She tried washing the clothes she had slept in but the stains didn't seem to fade away. It was as if to let her know that whatever happened the night before, can never be erased. She panicked and threw the clothes away on her way out. She spent that breezy day walking through Milton park drowning in her own thoughts.

 She tried to focus on taking orders but it was always on her mind. It frustrated her that she couldn't remember. She closes her eyes for a moment and tries to remember.

"Oh c'mon Amy lets get wasted and have some fun."
She remembers saying this to her best friend Amy who also happens to be her roommate of 3 years.

"I really don't feel well Maya, I think I'm just going stay in and binge-watch Friends."

"Well  I bet you Joey Tribbiani would want you to hook up with a few girls tonight."  She winks and wiggles her eyebrows. 

Amy is bisexual although Maya has never seen her in serious relationship with anyone. 

Amy laughs.
"Not today Maya."

"Suit yourself but don't get jealous when you view my Snapchat."

Maya grins and and grabs her jacket before heading out.

That night she remembers drinking but not a lot. She was with a few friends but without Amy it felt boring. She needed her bestie there so she rang and begged her to come and Amy agreed, only for a little bit. She remembers dancing and singing to 'on the floor' by Jennifer Lopez.

"Excuse me, can I have a caramel latte."

Maya comes to her senses as she realises an annoyed customer is staring at her impatiently.

"S-sorry what did you say?" 

"I'll take over."

Katie takes Maya's spot and she thanks her. She goes to the rest room and holds onto the sink tightly with both hands and looks up at her reflection.

Focus Maya, focus.

She walks back and forth across the tiles when the restroom door swings open almost hitting her in the face.

"What the hell is wrong with you Maya?"

Katie folds her arms standing in front of her.
The last thing she wanted was Katie to complain to Jamie about her behaviour.

"I'm okay, I just don't feel well today."

"Like yesterday? What happened to you Maya? You didn't even call or text me as usual." 

Maya didn't know what to say.

"The drinking needs to stop Maya."

She didn't want to have this conversation right now. Maya knows how to handle her alcohol.
Katie puts her hand on Maya's shoulder.

"Look, maybe you should see someone for your addiction- 

Maya harshly moves her hand away. 

"Just fuck off and stay out of my business." 

She storms out of the bathroom leaving Katie behind in shock.