Chapter 7

After meeting up with Katie, Maya felt a lot better. She really appreciates having a great friend like her. She gets to her apartment and Amy is there using her laptop. 

"Hey, did you have fun?" She asks Maya.

"Yes and the pizza was great, we should definitely go there."  

Maya walks towards Amy and sits next to her. She closes her laptop and faces Maya.

"Is everything okay?"

"I haven't been completely honest with you Amy."

"What's wrong?"

"I lost my job today...Jamie has his doubts and I don't blame him."

"Now you listen to me. This isn't going to bring you down. Why does it matter what everyone else thinks? I will always have your back. The people that care about you will always be by your side and you will prove your innocent." She takes Maya's hand in her lap.

"Amy...did I drink a lot that night?"

"I can't remember babe but you did pass out in my car."

So then she must have...but how?

"Thank you for always being there when I need you." Maya says as he hugs Amy. The real truth is that she has no proof to claim her innocence... Instead, she had proof to frame her for being guilty.

"Always Maya. Why don't you come to the library with me tomorrow?" 

"I'm spending the whole day with Jake tomorrow." Thinking about Jake makes her smile. 

"Oh okay well if you need me, you know where i'll be."

It's the next day, Maya wakes up stretching her arms and legs as she hears "Morning baby."

"What time is it?" She asks.

"It's 10 o'clock and you and I have somewhere to be now get up." He takes the duvet off her.

"How did you get in?" She asks.

"Amy let me in."

She stretches her arms out and he pulls her up. He sits down and kisses her. 

"Morning breath." She moves her face away. 

"I've experienced worse... yours is the second worse." He chuckles. 

She gets the pillow and hits him.

Amy walks in to say goodbye and Maya gets up and heads towards the shower. 

Spending the day with Jake made Maya feel almost normal. She loves spending time with Jake. They went out to eat breakfast although it was more of a brunch. They then went to watch a horror movie and it was quite funny for Maya listening to Jake scream. They ate at a fancy Indian restaurant and both of them could barely move from all the food they had ate. That was including popcorn and nachos at the movies. After that they went on a long drive listening to up beat music and finally went to the beach. Maya loves coming to the beach late at night. The sound of nature feels like music to her ears.

They are now back in the apartment and as soon as they get inside, Maya lays down on the sofa.

"What a day!" She exclaims.

Jake moves her legs off the sofa and she sits up. He sits down next to her.

"Shall we order some food?" He asks.

She raises her brows. "You're hungry after all that?"

"A guy has gotta eat." He turns the TV on.

"You had about 20 onions bhajis."

He chuckles but quickly stops after hearing the name Ciara Jones...

"We are currently in Slayton moor  where Ciara's body was found, right over here, this was the exact spot. According to forensic pathologist Ryan, the cause of death was a blunt force trauma to the head. It is said that she had been dead for a few days.  She had been hit in the face so many times that it was difficult identifying her straight away. The murder weapon that was used was nowhere to be seen. If anyone knows-

Jake turns the TV off.

"Why did you turn it off?" Maya grabs the remote but Jake snatches it off her.

"Why do you want to watch it Maya?"  Jake stands up.

"Because I want to know what happened... I need to know."  She tries to reach for the remote but he moves it away, out of her reach.

"I don't want this to upset you Maya we don't need to-

"I NEED TO KNOW IF I DID IT!" She shouts, tears streaming down her face.

It hurts Jake to see her like this. He drops the remote on the floor and embraces her.

"I can't live not knowing Jake. An innocent girl lost her life and it all comes back to me. What if I killed her? I can't remember a thing about that night. That makes it worse Jake."

"No you didn't kill anyone Maya. You wouldn't even hurt a fly so what makes you think you did this?" 
Maya looks up at him and he caresses her cheeks and wipes her tears.

"The day I woke up after that night, I had-

A knock on the door interrupts them. Maya wipes her tears and heads towards the door assuming it's Amy. However, as soon as she opens the door her heart begins to beat out of her chest.

"I meant what I said Anderson."

It's James.