Maria Reynolds || Mean

Yay,, Passive agressive angst,,

There's like,, 5 triggers in here at the leas t,,

Read with caution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----------------------

     Maria sighed as she sat on the stool in the small cafè on the corner of her street. "Revolutionary Cafè: Coffee and Baked Goods". The owners were allowing her to preform, and it was extremely kind of them. She tuned her guitar, taking a deep breath. She started strumming the beginning chords.

     People turned to watch her, wondering what the music was. They saw her in all of her 'glory'. Small, barely visable bruises covering her arms, legs, and shoulders as she wore her bright red dress. Her long, chocolate brown, wavy hair going down to her midback and her fringe covering her left eye, which had been hit two days ago by her 'loving' boyfriend, James Reynolds. He did this to her and it was sickening and painful.

     The crowd listened to her angelic voice as her lips started moving, pushing out the lyrics to the song. Her seeable mocha brown eye held a gleam of sadness and fear, worried for what might happen to her if James appeared. She held back a shiver at even thinking of his name.

"♪You, with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me. You have knocked me off my feet again, got me feeling like a nothing. You, with your voice like nails on a chalkboard, calling me out when I'm wounded. You, picking on the weaker man.♪"

     The people listened, trying to pick up on the meaning of the song. Why was she singing this song? They all thought she was in a happy, healthy relationship from how pretty she was. The bruises on her body showed that they were far from right.

"♪Well you can take me down with just one single blow. But you don't know, what you don't know... Someday I'll be living in a big old city, and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me, and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Why you gotta be so mean?♪"

     Alexander Hamilton, the worker on the clock, raised an eyebrow. She had his attention now. That was good. Maybe he could help her? It would have to wait anyways. She needs to finish her song.

"♪You, with your switching sides and your wildfire lies and your humiliation. You have pointed out my flaws again, as if I don't already see them. I walk with my head down, trying to block you out 'cause I'll never impress you. I just wanna feel okay again.♪"

     Alex frowned, biting his lip. What exactly had happened to this woman? He was curious about her now, wondering what her story was.

"♪I bet you got pushed around. Somebody made you cold. But the cycle ends right now, 'cause you can't lead me down that road. And you don't know, what you don't know... Someday I'll be living in a big old city, and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me, and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Why you gotta be so mean?♪"

     Maris held back tears as she sang, memories cluttering her thoughts. Her bruises hurt as she thought about what he had done to her. It hurt so much and he didn't care.

"♪And I can see you years from now in a bar, talking over a football game. With that same big loud opinion, but nobody's listening. Washed up and ranting about the same old bitter things. Drunk and grumbling on about how I can't sing. But all you are is mean.♪"

     She smiled at the thought. James being ignored. He deserved it. He was horrible, manipulative, abusive, and so much more. She never would have gotten with him if her parents hadn't forced her to.

"♪All you are is mean and a liar, and pathetic, and alone in life, and mean, and mean, and mean, and mean. But someday I'll be living in a big old city, and all you're ever gonna be is mean, yeah. Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me, and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Why you gotta be so?... Someday I'll be living in a big old city, and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me, and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Why you gotta be so mean?♪"

     Maria finished up the song and everyone clapped. She smiled and stood up, giving a bow. She thanked everyone for their time, grinning. They were too nice to her.