Bullies

School was finally over. Millie quickly gathered her materials and shoved them in her backpack, not caring about the mess. She'll have to deal with that later. "All right boys and girls, have a fantastic weekend. Stay safe. I'll see you all on Monday." The teacher said as students ran out of her classroom. Millie finally got all of her stuff in her backpack and began to speed walk out of the room.

She wasn't focused on what was in front of her. Millie just slowly walked towards the school doors in the almost empty hallway, looking down at the ground. She has to pick up Ava from daycare before she goes home to her crappy one bedroom apartment.

It's all Millie could afford with the money her grandmother sent her every month. She felt horrible begging her grandmother for money, but she didn't have a choice. Her grandma stays in a retirement home and Millie doesn't have any other relatives that would take care of her. She thought she was such a burden and that she was selfish for asking family to let her and Ava live with them.

Suddenly, Millie bumped into something. She looked up and saw the schools meanest kid along with his sidekicks. Millie mentally cursed herself for not paying attention to where she was going. The tall boy towered over Millie.

"Watch where the fuck you're going!" He shouted in Millie's face, causing her to grow scared. She cleared her throat and shook her head. "I'm so sorry Caleb, I was-" She was quickly interrupted by him pushing her to the ground. Millie fell on her back and groaned in pain. Caleb McLaughlin gave her one good kick in her side and she cried.

Caleb's friends, Wyatt Oleff and Chosen Jacobs, laughed at Millie as she struggled to get up and failed. "Fat slut." Caleb muttered under his breath. He soon started to chant it as he leaned in closer to Millie, who was still on the ground, and got louder and louder. His friends joined and the three boys were now screaming and calling Millie a fat slut.

Millie felt more tears build up in her eyes. She covered her head as she was curled up in a ball on the ground. "Hey!" A deep voice shouted, standing feet away from the scene. The three boys stopped chanting and turned around to see the principal, mister Harbour.

He didn't look very happy either. The three boys ran away leaving Millie on the ground alone. Mister Harbour slowly approached Millie and kneeled down next to her. He could hear quite sobs and sniffling. "Miss Brown, you're okay now." He said in a comforting tone. Millie stopped crying and looked up at the principal. She wiped away her tears and nodded as she stood up. "Thank you, mister Harbour." She said quietly before speed walking her way out of the building.

-

Millie arrived at the small building. Her little sister was inside. She went in and saw all of the small children playing nicely. It made Millie smile. The young woman who ran the daycare noticed Millie and walked towards her. She looked to be in her twenties and Millie thought she was very pretty. "Hello Millie, are you here to pick up Ava?" She asked kindly.

Millie nodded with a sweet smile. "Yes miss Dyer." She said. The little girl stood up from playing with the other children. She ran to her older sister with wide arms. "Millie!" She exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around Millie, giving her a hug. Millie hugged back. She thought her little sister was adorable.

The young girl pulled away with a smile. "Are you ready to go home, Ava?" Millie asked holding her sisters hand. Ava nodded and they made their way out of the daycare.

-

When Ava and Millie got to the apartment complex they live in, they checked their mailbox hung up on the wall by the front door for a letter from their grandmother. Millie found the white envelope and sighed. "Is that our monthly letter from grandma?" Ava asked as Millie unlocked the front door.

Millie hummed yes and opened the door. "Can I read the letter?" The little girl asked as they walked inside. Millie closed the door behind her and set her backpack on the ground next to the door. "Yeah. Just let me open it first. There's more than just a letter in here." Millie stated slowly. Ava sat down on the small white couch in the living room.

Their apartment wasn't too small, but it definitely wasn't big. There was a kitchen that was pretty small and had everything that they needed but stuff they hardly used, a bathroom with a shower and such, a living space with just a couch and their bedroom with one bed the girls share. Millie sat down next to Ava on the couch. Ava scoots closer to her older sister so she could see the contents in the envelope. Millie slowly opened it and pulled out a folded piece of paper that she suspected was a note from her grandmother. Millie hands it to Ava. The little girl giggled as she unfolds it.

Millie looked in the envelope and pulled out a small paper. It was their monthly check. Millie looked at how much money their grandma sent them. Usually she sends Millie enough money to pay bills and afford groceries. This time was different though. Millie read over the check and saw that her grandmother had sent eight hundred dollars. That's two months worth of rent.

Millie sighed out in relief, but also in destress. It was more than enough money and she was thankful that her grandmother had sent it, but she also felt guilty taking money from her grandma. Ava leans her head against Millie's arm. "I can't read most of this, Millie." Ava whispered to her. Millie took the letter from Ava and read over it. A few seconds later, Millie sets the letter in her lap and pulls her sister closer towards her. "Grandma says she loves us and she's very sorry for what happened last year." Millie sighed out sadly.

Ava looked up at Millie wanting to tell her about her day, but didn't really know what Millie would say if she told her. Instead of telling Millie about her day, she decided to ask about Millie's day at school. "How was school today?" The brunette looked down at her sister and sighed. "I wanted to scream so loud a lion would be scared." Millie states, earning a small giggle from Ava.

Millie kisses the top of Ava's forehead then lays her head on top of hers. "What about your day?" Millie asked. Ava stares down at her lap and fidgets with her nails for a bit. "There were mean people today." Ava started. Millie closed her eyes and listened to her sister. "They said that mummy and daddy are in a bad place and they'll never leave." Millie sighed and started playing with Ava's hair. "Then what happened?" Millie asked quietly.

Ava frowned before continuing. "They pulled my hair, but then miss Dyer punished them. They were three boys." Millie's eyes shot open, remembering what happened to her today at school when Caleb and his boys shoved her and called her a 'fat slut'. It made Millie sick to think people would behave like that.

"Are mum and dad in a bad place?" Ava asked. Millie slowly lifted her head off of Ava's and looked into her eyes. She shook her head slowly. "No." She whispered. "Mum and dad are in a safe place, watching after us." Millie added, causing Ava to smile. Millie smiled a little too and gave her sister a tight hug.

----------------------

Welp...it wasn't very cash money.💉