Chapter Two: My Parents

"We're here." Dean said with sarcastic 'joy' in his eyes.

   I grabbed Dean's hand and smiled a reassuring smile. Lord knows he needed it. My parents absolutely hated him. He tried and tried to get them to like him or to at least give him a chance. I even tried to persuade them. They hate change. They were like robots.  They did the same routine everyday. Sometimes they acted like they liked Dean, or at least didn't HATE him, then others they were so blunt. Dean takes it as it is. I admire that.  I admire my Dean-Bean.

   I leaned up and kissed his cheek. I moved closer to his ear and whispered, "It'll be alright, Bean. I'll be with you." Bean was a nickname I had given him when we first started dating. Just a cute little nickname given by his silly girlfriend.

   "Okaay." He draws this word out, probably wanting to stay in his truck for as long as possible. He pecks my lips and starts unbuckling his seat belt. He knows me, he knows the peck isn't enough to satisfy my needs. I lean in more. He turns his head to the right and faces me. "You want more, don't you?" He says in a pouty language.  I stick my bottom lip out.

   "Pwease?" I beg but I know the answer.  We never kiss here, at my house.  He's terrified that my parents will jump out and catch us. It's for HIS own good, he wants a good impression. I unbuckle my seat belt and open my door. He never opens my door for me, I always beat him to it. I closed my door and heard Dean close his. He walked beside me as we walked in, never hand in hand. Affection. My parents hated seeing it between us. They always dreamed of me growing up, becoming lawyer or a doctor, marrying Kaleb down the street and giving them grandchildren. Kaleb was an A student, his father was the preacher at our church.  He was a good kid and we were friends but, not my type.

   "Glad you finally decided to come in." My father looked at his watch. "You were supposed to be back 17 minutes ago." He stood up and went to the kitchen.

   We headed for the kitchen where my mother was making dinner. We were a few steps from the doorway when I stopped Dean.  He stopped and had a confused look upon his face. I grabbed his hand and intertwined our hands together. He looked down at our hands, at me, then at my parents. I got the message.  I just shrugged my shoulders and walked in the kitchen.  Dean usually didn't speak at my house in front of my parents, afraid he would say something wrong. I sat down at the bar and Dean sat beside me. My father at the table, reading his newspaper and my mother across from us reading and cooking from one of her famous cook books. They hadn't noticed our hands until I plopped them up on the bar table. The death stare from mother could have killed me in seconds if I wasn't enjoying this.

   "Aubrianna Louise Morgan Parker! You let go of his hand now." My mother yelled. Affection made this family weird. I held onto Dean's hand tighter as I felt his grip loosen.  He wanted out but, I wanted to show my parents that WE show affection.

   My father was looking over his newspaper then slammed it down. "Listen to your mother!" I just stared at him while Dean, my mother, and father stared at me. "Dammit! You listen to me!" My father was furious.  Only when he's so mad does he cuss.

   "Daddy, I love him!" I dramatically recited my favorite Disney movie, The Little Mermaid. I could see his jaw clench at the word love.

   Maybe my next move went a little too far. I kissed Dean Reynolds. To my surprise, Dean kissed back. His hands wondered down my back, pulled the end of my tank top up just enough so his hands could play with the rim of my shorts. My arms linked around his neck and around to his chocolate, brown shaggy hair. I tugged on his hair a little bit.

   The next thing I know, Dean and I are being pulled apart. My father has Dean in a head lock and my mother has me around the waist.

   It's getting serious now.