VI

A week and 3 days. That was how long it had been since Hermione travelled backwards in time with a plan in mind. Except her plan to try and keep Tom Riddle away from anything dark was failing miserably.

Since her encounter with him in the library 8 days ago, she'd caught him watching her at the most random moments. Walking into the common room, in class, and even in the halls during passing periods. He seemed to stay on his word that he'd find out who she really was.

And it concerned Hermione. She was terrible at secrets, and this one basically had her life and thousands of others on the line. If Tom even got a mere hint at why she was really there, he'd dispose of her faster than you can say "Stupefy".

As the girl tried to find another way to get her plan going, she'd spent most of her time with Bryan Weasley. The two sat at the library together and talked in DADA.

Much to both the Slytherin and Gryffindor house's shocks, she also sat at the Gryffindor table at lunch one day. It earned her death glares from her fellow housemates and none other than Riddle himself.

"Oh, hey!" Bryan said as one of his friends slid in the seat next to the two. Hermione almost gasped at how much his friend resembled Harry; with his black hair and bright, green eyes.

"I dont mean to be rude but are you a Potter?" She blurted out. He nodded slowly.

"Yes... I'm Nick. How did you know my last name?" He asked. Hermione looked away as she raced to find a decent excuse.

"Just guessed. My mum used to be friends with your mum." She lied quickly. It was hardly believable but the boy didn't seem to pay attention to it.

"Tom!" A girl's voice caught Hermione's attention as she walked past the Gryffindor table towards Tom. Hermione tried to listen to what Bryan was talking about, but her attention was more towards what was going on.

She watched as a raven-haired girl, who she recognized as Kayla Vane, straightened her back before stepping towards the brunette boy. Tom, on the other hand, watched the girl in what seemed to be a mix of bore and confusion.

"I brought you some pumpkin juice." She offered out the cup that she was holding tightly.

Hermione stifled a laugh at what she was trying to pull. Disguising a love potion as pumpkin juice. It was honestly embarrassing at how Kayla thought she could fool Tom Riddle.

He raised his eyebrows as he stared at the cup. For a minute, Hermione thought he was actually going to take it and watched intently. But when he shook his head to say no, she rolled her eyes.

The Vane girl awkwardly pulled the cup away from his face and stomped off, her eyebrows furrowed in anger. Hermione looked over at Tom and found him careless to what just happened. His eyes were at his food in front of him, but he looked up to lock eyes with Hermione.

She didn't want to seem cowardly and look away, but Merlin was his eye contact game strong. The brunette finally broke the staring game and faced Nick and Bryan, silently angry at herself for looking away so fast. She couldn't continue to let him think he dominated her.

But in the end, whatever she tried or knew, he knew more. He was smarter, stronger and faster. Hermione felt at a loss for what to do, but kept a good spirit. If not for her, then for Harry and Ron.