chapter ten

may 2nd
~lilly's pov.~

   once i finally get to the hospital i see daniel. i run up to him as he wraps his arms around me and i start to cry. my face is red because i cried the whole plane ride.

   "why did this have to happen to her?" i muttered into daniel's chest through tears.

   "i don't know baby. it's not fair. but i'm here for you." daniel says rubbing my back and kissing my forehead.

   "thank you baby. i need you."

   "don't worry i'm always here. always and forever."

   "i love you"

   "i love you too"

   i break away from the hug and walk down the hall. i hate hospitals, they're always stuffy and the air always has an undertone of bleach. This hospital has yellow walls which are scraped in places from the hundreds of trolleys that have bumped into them. The pictures on the walls are cheap benign prints of uplifting scenes and above the double doors are large blue plastic signs with the areas of the hospital that lie ahead.

   i walk through the double doors to go see natalie. as i continue to walk down the hall past the thousands of rooms full of hurting people and families but when i walk in her room i see zach holding her hand. he loves her so much and seeing that makes me feel safe. i could see from the moment she laid eyes on him she loved him. she always smiled around him and felt safe around him. she could always be herself.

   "uh.. hey zach" i say as i walk in awkwardly.

   "hi lilly" he says getting up hugging me.

   "how are you holding up?" i ask.

   "probably as well as you." he says with a tear rolling down his cheek.

   "yeah i'm not doing to well." i sigh.

   "me neither. i haven't left the hospital once since it happened." he says with dark bags hanging under his eyes.

   "you should get some rest zach. i'm here with her. i'll let you know if anything happens." and with that zach left the room to go sleep, leaving me alone with my bestfriend and my worry of her not waking up.

   "come on natrat. don't stop fighting. i can't live without you." i said wiping away a tear.

   "i mean who else's house would i hide at when my mom is with one of her crazy boyfriends?" i say with a small laugh.

   "or who would i run away to new york with every weekend? i mean remember when we were 8 and you and i got train tickets to new york? it was so exhilarating walking around the crazy streets of new york just the two of us." i say through tears. "i mean we even saw a man walking a live zebra in a clown costume."

   at this point i started balling my eyes out at the way natalie would laugh at me for loving why don't we, or how she thought it was funny i couldn't go to sleep without my ladybug pillow pet, i still can't. or how she would try not to laugh when i sneezed, she thinks my sneeze is weird, i don't know why.

   i couldn't loose her and all the memories we share. i mean i've known her since i was 4 she is not one to give up fighting but for some reason i felt like she couldn't take the pressure anymore.

~natalie's pov.~

   today is zach and i's wedding day. currently i'm standing at the beginning of the aisle.

   everyone stands up as the music begins to play and i see zach smile. today is that day that you will tell the grandkids. it's one of those days that you feel the happiest that you want to relive forever. today's the day i'm marrying my true love. i know it all happened so soon but there is something between us i just can't explain. it's to magical.

   i begin walking to zach as i smile realizing i finally found my prince charming. i keep walking to my happy ever after but zach keeps getting farther and farther away until everything turns black.

~lilly's pov.~

   a tear drop falls off my cheek onto natalie's hand as i realize she's not breathing.

   the mechanics start beeping as the doctors run in. "get out of the way please mis." the doctor yells as he takes natalie down the hall.

   "we are loosing her!" i hear one of the nurses say and i collapse on the ground.

   daniel comes into the room to comfort me as zach runs after natalie. "no, no stop! i need to see her one last time!" he begs falling on the floor but the doctors just keep pushing her into the double doors at the end of the hall that say 🛑stay out🛑.

~zach's pov.~

   natalie's mom woke up about two hours ago. emily and mr. smith are very relieved but i'm still worried about natalie. i can't sleep at night knowing the person who hit her is somewhere out there. how can they deal with what they have done?

   one of the doctors comes into the waiting room to talk to mr. smith and emily and i rush over to hear what he as to say.

   "mr. smith, your daughter made it through surgery. we lost her for 5 seconds but we got her heart rate back up. she is stable now and you guys may go visit her."

   "thank you mr. macky." mr. smith said placing a hand over his heart.

   mr. smith and emily went to go see mrs. smith while i went to see natalie. the rest were getting us food since we had hardly eaten.

   when i walked into natalie's i grabbed her hand and started, "oh baby girl i'm so sorry i screwed up. i never had the chance to ask you out. i really hope you can fight through this so i can make it up to you. all i want is for you to be okay and for me to be able to call you mine. i love you baby."

   as soon as the words fell out of my mouth a miracle happened...