[Summer Games] Genji x Shy!Reader : Heroes

I kind of took my own twist on your request but I hope you like it!

Requested by: @Ravenstar24

Ever since you were little, you had what could be considered an obsession with fencing. You would stay up late and watch professional fencer's dance back and forth as they attempted to land the winning blow. There was one fencer in particular who had become your inspiration and your motivation.

Genji Shimada.

After nearly dying and having his body rebuilt using omnic parts, he began fencing and quickly climbed to the top of the fencing world. A lot of skeptics claimed that it was only because of the modifications that had been made to his body, but you knew better. He was just that good.

Today, you had decided to finally act on your impulses and you found yourself standing in front of a small fencing club. Through the window, you could see two or maybe three people standing inside which was just perfect for you considering you weren't very fond of large crowds. You didn't really expect there to be a large draw anyway considering the small town you lived in in Nepal didn't have many people in it.

You stepped through the doors, ghosting your way to the main room without a sound. When you entered the room, no one seemed to notice you and the two fencers continued on with their joust. Across the room from you was an omnic floating off the ground and watching the fight go on. He hadn't appeared to notice you either.

For a moment, you weighed your options. Either you stand here and continue to watch in a rather creepy fashion, or you initiate conversation with someone in the room. Or you could just leave, your subconscious whispered deviously from the back of your mind. You almost instantly put that thought to rest because fencing was something you had wanted to do for a very long time, even if it meant overcoming your shyness to do so.

A sigh parted your lips and you took a few large steps forward, approaching the two fencers in the midst of their duel. They broke apart upon seeing you and the one to the left removed his helmet. It was a man with shaggy brown hair and a light stubble crested his jawline.

"Well howdy there, darlin'," he tipped an imaginary hat towards you. "Name's Jesse, what brings you in here today?" The other man stayed silent as the omnic watched the scene unfold before him.

"I- umm," you took a shaky breath, your grip tightening on your bag as you tried to calm your frayed nerves. "I-I'm (Y/N) and I'm here to t-take some fencing lessons." The omnic who had been watching slowly came forward until he was in front of you.

"Then you have certainly come to the right place," he began. His voice was very peaceful and you wondered if tranquility was programmed into his settings. "I have trained many in the art of fencing and Jesse just started a few weeks ago."

"W-Well it's good to know t-that I'm in the presence of s-such skill," your grip loosened slightly on your bag until the other fencer removed his helmet. A gasp escaped your lips and your jaw dropped, eyes wide with both excitement and anxiety as the fencer was none other than Genji Shimada.

"You're Genji!" The worlds tumbled out before you could stop them and they dripped with elation. This resulted in a hearty laugh from your hero as he turned to face you. He was even more amazing to look at in person as half of his face was scarred and the other half was omnic.

"Yes," he smiled widely as he caught the full idea of just how starstruck you were. "But I am also just like everyone else. There is no reason for such excitement in my presence."

"Sure," Jesse grumbled from behind you. "She recognizes the half cyborg but can't even recognize a full on person." You shot him a small glare over your shoulder. Just because Genji wasn't completely human did not give anyone else the right to belittle or berate him.

"Relax," Genji patted your head softly. "Jesse's sense of humor is a strange one but he means no harm by it. Now did you come here to learn to fence or not?" He tossed you a saber and started to pull his helmet back on. You looked down shyly as the full reality of your situation dawned on you. Not only did you just meet your all time hero, but he was going to teach you how to fence!

"Oh," you placed the saber gently on the floor and returned to gripping your bag. "I need to get changed into my gear. Is there somewhere I can do that here?" The floating omnic pointed to a back room and you quickly scampered over. You got dressed rather swiftly and headed back into the presence of your hero to learn from the best.

You and Genji practiced together for nearly hours on end. Jesse had packed his things and left about half way through and the floating omnic, whose name you learned was Zenyatta, left not too long after. At a certain point, the fatigue in your body began to overcome you and you pulled off your helmet, being too tired to continue.

"Thank you for t-teaching me Genji," you gave him a shy smile as he took off his helmet. He returned your smile with grandeur. This caused a blush to slowly spread across your face, from one ear and almost to the other. You ducked your head, hoping to hide most of your embarrassing blush.

"No need to thank me, (Y/N)," Genji set his helmet down along with his saber. Something about the way your name rolled off his tongue sent shivers down your spine and only ignited your blush further. "So, I was wondering if maybe you would like to accompany me to dinner tomorrow night, say around seven?"

"I think I would enjoy that very much, Genji."