Sixteen

I was woken by someone shaking me. I opened my eyes to see Hunter's grinning face. I blinked, then remembered we fell asleep hugging. But that's not why he was grinning like a fool.

"Happy Birthday Becky!" My eyes widened. My birthday had always been in the back of my mind, but I didn't even think about it.

Hunter produced a small velvet box from his pocket causing my face to blank. That was definitely a ring box. He chuckled at my face.

"Calm down, its not what you think." He helped me sit up, then sat on the edge of my bed. He opened the box to reveal a ring that looked like a crown. Not one of those cliche ones that you could get from Pandora. No, this one looked like a real crown. It sparkled in the light, and I took the box from his hand. I wasn't real big on jewelry, other then the set I found that my mother gave me, but this was beautiful. I noticed red rubies or garnets twinkling. I slid it onto my ring finger on my right hand, it felt perfect.

"Thank you Hunter, it's beautiful." I smiled and pulled him into a hug.

"So are you." He whispered and kissed my forehead."Now, there's some more people who want to wish you happy birthday." He passed me some clothes and left the room as I got dressed. I managed to get myself into the wheelchair and out the door, where Hunter started pushing me.

We made it to the big hall, where my group of friends stood. At my entrance, they started singing happy birthday to me. My cheeks heated,  but I smiled anyway. Everyone began giving me gifts. Holland gave me a collage of pictures, from when we were younger up until last year. I laughed at the memories, and thanked her. Jason gave me a familiar crystal paper weight, and I realized it was the one I'd hit Shannon with, his blood still twisted into the crystal. Jack, being the smart ass he is, gave me some stickers so I could bedazzle my wheelchair. I deliberately ran over his foot as he laughed at me, which shut him up. JJ and Ryan gave me a new phone, which I quickly began reprimanding them for getting me a present that cost so much. Orion gave me a voucher for a tattoo parlor.

I realized, as Keenan knelt in front of me, that Zamon wasn't there. I quickly looked down at Keenan's present. It was a box shaped like a house. Before I opened it, Keenan spoke.

"No matter what, you'll always be like a little sister to me." I smiled as my eyes started to water, but I managed to hold the tears at bay.

I opened the box, and pulled out a big, cute, fluffy pink teddy bear. I smiled while frowning.

"Squeeze it's hand." Keenan whispered. I did as he said, causing my breath to rush out of my.

"I loooove you Rebecca. Don't forget that, but don't worry, I know you love me too, who wouldn't?" Kyle's conceited love confession caused sobs to escape my mouth. He'd sent me that video a couple weeks before he died, and I thought I lost it when we had to throw my phone away. I pulled Keenan into a bone crushing as I continued to cry.

"Thank you so much." I whispered as he pulled back. I wiped my cheeks as I stared up at the group, who were more then just friends, they were family.

"Can you please get me a can of coke?" I asked Hunter, who quickly went to get me one. While he was gone, I turned to Jason and raised my eyebrow. He knew exactly what I was asking.

"About an hour after you went to bed last night Zamon got a call. Tilly was also attacked, apparently a short while after you were. He left as soon as he found out. He hasn't been back since." I sighed and shrugged.

"Let's not dwell on Zamon, we've got a birthday party to set up." Jack said as he walked away.

"What?!" I yelled after him.

***

Jack wasn't kidding. It was basically a games night, but the theme was me. Somehow, which I suspected was JJ's hacking skills, my friends got a hold of my baby photos, as well as the ones of me growing up. It was basically a day made just for humiliating me.

All the tables and chairs were set up, with photos of me enlarged around the room. A huge pink banner above the stage read happy birthday Rebecca, and every member of the gang was here. It had been about 2 hours since the 'party' started, but it was still in full swing. Suddenly chanting reached my ears.

"SPEECH! SPEECH! SPEECH! SPEECH!"
My friends stared at me expectantly as I shook my head. Jack grinned and grabbed the handles of my wheelchair and forced me to the stage. He managed to somehow get me up the stairs, for a microphone into my hand, and legit kicked me into the middle of the stage.

"Asshole!" I said into the microphone, causing everyone to laugh. Jack smiled as he sat back down.

"Um, where do I begin? Well, I guess from the start." I started, staring out at the huge amount of people. "I can remember the hatred I received from nearly all of you, yes all of you, when I joined this gang. The thought of a female in this gang really stumped you guys, huh? Well, you sexist assholes, look at me now" I chuckled with the crowd.

"Anyway. I came into this gang with no family, but I soon realized that I had found one. In all of you. And it's true. Sure,  I don't know even three quarters of the people in the gang, but every single one of you are my family..." I choked as tears came to my eyes then chuckled as people whistled and yelled out.

"You guys are gonna make me cry...hey don't call me a pussy! Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, and that I love you all." The crowd began to applaud as I laughed, smiling. Until I spotted someone at the entrance.

Zamon stood, wide eyed as he stared at me. His eyes traveled around the room, saw all the pictures and banners, and made eye contact with me again. I watched his mouth move to shape one word, shit. But it was the pretty little blond at his side that caused me to glare. Tilly.