0.2

poor peggy^

artist unknown :(
______________________________

~Adrienne POV~

"A-Alex?" Lucy managed to whisper next to me.

He looked up from where he was sitting on a hospital bed. But something wasnt right. His eyes were glossed over and empty. His face portrayed no emotion and the bullet wound at the back of his head was somehow gone.

But...he had died two weeks ago. Right? There was no way anyone could have survived a bullet to the head. Unless, they revived him somehow? Was that even possible? (I know i know that NONE of this is scientifically possible but u know its fiction i can write what ever i want)

Lucy tackled him with a hug, not noticing Alex's state. He didnt respond. He sat there looking blankly at Lucy.

I took a couple steps forward. He looked at me with his zombie eyes and blinked slowly.

Lucy pulled away when she realized that Alex wasnt holding her back.

"Alex? How are you alive? What ha-" Lucy started to say before she saw the same thing I did earlier. The lack of life in Alex.

I turned around when I heard a few pairs of footsteps behind me. It was Mr. Hamilton, Dr. Franklin, and James.

I saw as James expression turned from anger to heartbreak when he saw Alex. He covered his mouth and walked over to his brother. Tears were streaming down his face. He turned to face Dr. Franklin.

"This is worse than death. Why would you do this to him?" he said as he pulled Alex close to him. No response from the younger brother.

"It was an experiment, a test! We got half the result we wanted but we never thought he'd end up like this." his father replied.

"Oh, so is Alex just another science experiment to you?!"

This caused the older man to shake his head and walk away angrily. Then, Dr. Franklin spoke.

"I'm guessing that you all want to know what's happening to Alex," he said calmly and gestured to Alex. We all nodded.

"Well right now, he's in a vegetative state. Right now, he can breath and his normal reflexes work but he isnt aware of anything right now. If he stays in this state for more than 4 weeks, than he will most probably me like this for the rest of his life." This caused James to sob and pull Alex into a hug but Alex just kept staring ahead.

Sure his heart may be beating fine, but his mind was somewhere else entirely.

________________________

im sorry that these chapters are super short

but i feel like it makes this whole story more dramatic

ok have a good day! (or night)

~❤

(not so) fun fact: i actually did some research on vegetative states so that i would describe anything wrong. I dont mean to romanticize mental disorders or anything! but this was what i decided would make this story the angstiest it can be. (that is definitely not a word)