Chapter 37. Letting Go Is Overrated

The war had ended more than four years ago; Harry defeating Voldemort in a spectacular battle across the Hogwarts grounds. Many lives were lost, but thankfully none of her closest friends and none of her family. Severus had been cleared by his contribution to the final completion of the war and the records kept by the Headmaster in relation to the particulars of his death.

There could have been no better outcome.

It had been an undesirable event in their lives in everyway but it had made Hermione appreciate the small things in her life.

She loved, for instance, the sound of her husband's breaths; a gentle melody that she would fall to sleep to and wake up to everyday.

She liked to watch him sleep and he never said anything to make her think it annoyed him, and he had caught her many times.

Perhaps it was the way the morning light hit his golden hair making it sparkle on his cheek where it fell that made her reach to touch it...

His eyes fluttered open at her hand's light caress.

She withdrew her hand from his cheek placing it beneath her own as she lay on her side watching him.

Not meaning to have woken him, she smiled guiltily as she watched his bright blue eyes appear from their slumbered hold.

She loved those eyes.

When she had first returned she had been disheartened by their dull grey overlay but it was almost as if every day she had spent with him since had somehow made them come alive once more; the result being the shinning ocean depths before her, more swallowing in their hold than ever before.

His eyes settled on her as he adjusted to the bright light that shone through the lace curtained windows around them.

"Have you been awake long?" His voice was husky and sent gentle shivers down her spine.

She had to bite her lip to stop from moaning, still amazed that his voice alone could provoke such a response, but somehow managed to shake her head gently against her pillow in response to his question.

"Good."

She hadn't realized he had snaked a hand around her until a gentle push on her lower back sent her body flush with his.

Her eyes widened for a moment as she felt his obvious arousal, previously hidden to her by the sheets, but closed quickly as his lips settled over hers.

In one swift movement he rolled them over so that he was laying over her moving his mouth down her jaw line as he settled his legs either side of hers.

She didn't hold back her moan this time as his mouth traveled over her neck wetting it with gentle swipes of his tongue. She tipped her head back, arching her breasts into his chest as her hands grasped onto his back, the pressure of her finger tips encouraging his motions.

"Remus!" she gasped as his mouth attached to one silk covered nipple.

He pulled the tip of her breast into his mouth sucking it in as his tongue swept gentle circles over the raised bud.

He must have decided the material was in his way as he pushed the thin strap of her silk nightgown over her shoulder. She felt the cool air hit her naked breast before he covered her bare skin with his lips.

She pulled her head upright as she watched him trace his tongue around the underside of her exposed breast as his fingers played gently with the nipple of the other.

She could feel her centre pulsing with heat as he paid special attention to the three little white scars that marked the pale skin of her breast.

Their child had given her those.