Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Rae

When the front door closed, I reluctantly turned my attention to the four people seated before me. Carey was meticulously folding the basketful of towels she'd retrieved from the laundry room. Derrick sat going through his phone, refusing to acknowledge the glances Lexi kept stealing in his direction. Junior, on the other hand, sat glowering at me.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. "What the hell are you staring at?" I watched as his already dark gaze darkened even further.

"You said you weren't fucking my girlfriend. You lied." he ground out. He sat stiffly, his back ramrod straight.

I stared at him, my mind racing a mile a minute. Might as well tell him most of the truth. "I haven't slept with her. I made her cum, but I didn't sleep with her, or touch her like that."

He sputtered, stumbling over his words as he tried to process my small admission. "What the actual fuck, Rae?!"

"Junior!" Carey suddenly bellowed. "Watch your language!" She glared at him before turning the look on me. I didn't blink. Her looks haven't affected me in years. "And Dominique, that's highly inappropriate. Your brother's girlfriend was off limits while they were together. What you did wasn't right." She shook her head in disappointment.

Are you fucking kidding me?!

Are we stuck in the damn twilight zone? I know damn well that did not just come out of her mouth. She got some nerve...

"I know you're going through a phase right now, thinking you're attracted to females, but experimenting with your brother's girlfriend is not the way to go about it."

I stared at her incredulously. She really believes this is a phase that I'll get through? Seriously? Has she not been listening to mine and Serenity's conversation?

My phone chose that moment to vibrate. I glanced down and Natasha shone on the screen. I hit ignore and turned my attention back to the jackasses in front of me.

I cleared my throat, pushing down my irritation. "This isn't a phase, Carey. I like girls. Like, really like them. I like touching them and kissing them and tasting them and holding them and the way they smell and the way they move and so many other things we'll be here for the next decade with me explaining it all. I like girls. Boobs. Vagina. Cunnulingus." I flicked my tongue between my index and middle fingers in case they didn't get the message.

Both Carey and Lexi's faces twisted in disgust while Junior just appeared more pissed off. I pasted a smirk on my face and just watched them.

I knew Carey wouldn't accept me being a lesbian. She never accepted my father being gay. Even when he'd been a confused teenager, she'd somehow convinced him it was just a phase. When he realized that he was, in fact, gay, and that there was nothing wrong with being gay, he'd already been married to her for about 20 years. Lexi was in her last year of middle school and I was in the fourth grade when he finally came out to me. He'd been afraid that I would reject him. But, even then, some part of me could never hate him for loving someone of the same sex. In my eyes, love was love.

What made it easier was the fact that he was in love with Uncle Shawn. Dad and Shawn were friends when they were in diapers. Their families went way back. Probably to the beginning of time while we were still single-celled organisms. They grew up next door to each other and were always close. No matter what, they stood by each other, even when the other was in the wrong. When daddy started dating Carey, Shawn had an immediate dislike to her, but he never voiced it because daddy was so obviously in love with her. When daddy confided in him about disliking sex with her, Shawn told him that maybe it was lack of chemistry. Daddy refused to believe it. So, he stayed with her. They soon got married and two years later, Lexi was born. And then four years after that, I was born. He made Shawn my godfather and I ended up being spoiled rotten by both.