1

It is in the nature of mothers to give advice to their children, especially daughters as they understand the plight of young girls best. Their teachings are passed from generation to generation used to shape and protect children in such a cruel and violent world. Renee's mother had given her lots of advice through the years, helping her conduct herself through her awkward phases all of the way to adulthood, but none of the words were more valuable to her than the ones that helped her meet Ashton. Her mother was tough, but encouraging, forcing her out of the house to go meet with people, trying to soothe her daughter's anxiety with the promise that any possible awkwardness would be worth it because nothing feels better than meeting your soulmate.

But now, sitting next to Ashton in the hospital, looking at the frail and feeble frame that used to be so strong, she wondered if the opposite was true too. Was saying goodbye to your soulmate the worst feeling in the world?

"Renee," Calum's voice pulled her out of the pit she had been sinking into as he entered the hospital room. It wasn't really a question anyway, she could say with the upmost certainty that what was happening was most definitely the worst thing that had ever happened to her.

"Cal," Renee's voice was strained, and he knew from her red rimmed eyes and wet cheeks that whatever the doctor had told her after the last round of tests was bad. The treatments they had given him early that week were the Hail Mary, a last ditch effort to save Ashton from the mysterious disease that was eating away at his insides.

Calum looked down at the hospital bed, barely recognizing the man that laid there. He had known Ashton since they were both in diapers, but he had never seen him so thin or pale. He couldn't breathe on his own, and the heartbeat monitor showed an organ that was weakened, the beats no longer strong and rhythmic like they should be. At the time he seemed to be sleeping, and Calum half wondered if he'd wake up.

Renee sighed deeply, and shakily stood, she gently placed Ashton's hand back down on the bed and walked over to Calum. He opened his arms, and she walked into them, wrapping her arms around his waist tightly while burying her face in his shoulder. They hugged each other tightly, and she began to cry, dampening his shoulder with her tears. The heavy weight of her husband's deteriorating health sat in the bottom of her chest leaving her breathing ragged and shallow. It just wasn't fair.

They had plans. They were going to live in the suburbs, buy a house on the corner with a white picket fence and a red front door. They were going to get a puppy and Ashton was going to grill in the back while Renee tossed salad in the kitchen. They were going to have three kids and do the voices while reading them their bedtime stories. They'd go to all their school plays and sports games, cheering them on and being the most embarrassing parents they could. They were going to take embarrassing family photos to put on the Christmas cards and all laugh when Ashton burned the thanksgiving turkey. When they got old and their kids moved out but not far away they'd both sit out on the front porch and watch their grandkids play and have a cat that liked to warm their laps and warm cookies always fresh in the kitchen.

It wasn't supposed to end like this. It wasn't supposed to end at all.

Renee cried harder, and Calum felt the moisture burning in the backs of his eyes as he thought about what was happening too. But he still comforted his friend by holding her tightly and running a soothing hand up her back.

"It's okay, you'll be okay," he lied and they both knew it. His words only made Renee cry harder because he used to tell her Ashton would be okay, but it was clear that he wouldn't. And that her husband, her lover, her soulmate and best friend, was going to die.

ANYWAY

THANKS FOR READING, COMMENTING, AND VOTING!

Be sure to tell me what you think

- C8lin