Chapter 3: Dilston Manor

We arrived at Dilston Manor later than I had hoped. Under normal circumstances, one could travel the distance in reasonable amount of time.  Alas, with all of our delays we returned much later than I wished. None the less, all had returned safely. Even Lord Pennington's injured guards, Willoby and Calvin, seemed in better spirits.

Our unexpected guest's arrival threw the entire household into an uproar. The housekeeper, Avis, who was prone to dramatics, flew about shouting orders to the other servants.  The aging woman, with the best of intentions, gave the appearance of being quite put out when her normal routine was altered.

Not until rooms were prepared for our guests use and all were settled for the evening, did I find time to reflect upon the day.

I stood in front of the grand fireplace in the great hall. I was momentarily alone and was grateful for the respite. I felt my inadequacies weighing heavily on my shoulders.  To think I, a woman, would be able to lead and protect all who lived on my father's lands. I knew how absurd it must seem to most.

Many of my father's men had abandoned us. I really could not blame them and while there was no proof that Freddy and my father were dead, most assumed they were.  I could not believe this, however, and insisted on continuing the search even after Sir Gregory seemed to have given up.

As time went on and more men abandoned us, more effort had to be spent fortifying our lands.

With the discovery of Earl Von Dane's involvement, I felt closer to gleaning the answers I sought.  This knew information also meant everything was going to be much more perilous than I could have anticipated.

"A strange day this was."

I nearly jumped out of my skin at a voice behind me. I turned to see Sir Raulf standing there. I gave him a strained smile and laughed a little.

"I suppose those woods have gotten to me, surely I'm not so easy to frightened."

"No my lady, but I did interrupt your solitude." He said with a chuckle.

Sir Raulf was not as old as Sir Gregory, but he was at least ten years my senior.  He had always been kind to me, even when I was a young brat.

"Aye, today was not a normal day indeed. " I replied to his earlier comment. "How may I help you Sir Raulf?" I asked.

"I was checking to see if you needed anything more from me before I see to my family." He stated.

"Ah Sir Raulf, go and see to your wife. She is due to have the baby any day now is she not? Give Helen my regards and you let me know if I may do anything to help, won't you?"

"Of course, thank you my lady. I will be sure to send her your regards." He replied and turned and left.

The next morning, I woke with the sunrise. I wanted some time to myself before my guests awoke.

I saddled Genevieve and once we made it to the tall grassy meadow, we set off in a full gallop. The meadow glistened with morning frost and there was a crispness in the air that awakened my senses. I felt as if I were flying and I relished the feeling. We neared a particular grove of trees and I watched two squirrels scamper up a nearby oak.

I thought back to my childhood and the days when Freddy and I would play among the trees. Where a grand abbey once stood tall and imposing, now only decaying stone walls remained. Over grown with vegetation, and weathered over the last century since the fire that destroyed the church, the abbey was the perfect place for children to play. We were the rulers of our make believe kingdom.