Chapter 5: The Enemy Visits

I could not believe the bravado of the man to show his face at Dilston Manor and demand to speak to me. I felt my anger rising and fought to control my emotions. Most of the time I resented the confinement I felt from the grand wall that surrounded Dilston Manor. In that moment, However, I was truly grateful that it was there keeping me and all that were within safe from the enemy just outside the gates.

"He demands to speak to me!" Most likely he has come to gloat and see the effects of his deviousness. He thinks he will find me cowering in fear? I think not!" I declared.

Taking a moment to calm myself I said calmly. " You may let him, but he comes alone. If you would be so kind to escort the man, but keep a close eye on him. I have no idea what he might do."

"My lady it is a trick. I would not let him in," Sir Gregory cautioned.

"He is much to clever to do something so rash, especially in front of our guests. Whatever he has planned it is not to attack us right now. I will show him that he cannot intimidate us so easily."

Jacob returned to the gate to deliver the message and while he was gone everyone waited in anticipation.

We listened as footsteps in the hall approached, getting closer and closer. I took a deep breath and steeled myself for what was to come next. The man who came in the doorway was not whom I expected. Instead of the Earl, his son stood there looking around the room. He looked around until his gaze settled on me. His piercing dark eyes seemed to look right through me.

The last time I saw him was at court three seasons ago. He had been terribly intimidating with his tall stature and square jaw. His hair was dark yet not completely black either. I had avoided him that night and he had seemed to do the same. The feuding between our families was no secret and though I was never given a reason for the animosity, I had gleaned enough bits and pieces from the gossip that I had a rough idea.

He walked into the room and gave a small bow never taking his eyes off of me. He seemed to ignore everyone else in the room. I remained seated as did my guests. He either ignored the slight or he hadn't noticed.

"Now my lady..." he began, his voice was surprisingly pleasant. I suppose when one thinks of their enemy they always expect the worst kind of incivility." He continued. "I realize our families are not on the best of terms, but I really cannot see a need for the extra security and apparent disdain for my presence."

"There is no longer reason to continue with our feud. Now is the time to unite together and look past all of our grievances-"I could not take another word. The horrid man thought he could come to my home and pretend to be my ally."

Not letting him finish I calmly walked passed him and out the door, leaving everyone in confusion. The only sound was the echo of my retreating footsteps through the hallway. I returned a few moments later carrying a burlap satchel, which I held as far from myself as possible. With a face devoid of emotion, I came back to the dining hall and walked up to Lord Von Dane who had not moved from where he stood. The others had remained where they were as well and all eyes were on me curious to see what I was up to.

Very slowly I extended the satchel out to Lord Von Dane. He gave me a curious look but made no move to take it. Finally I said. " I found something that belongs to you." Still holding the satchel as far from me as possible I turned it over and let the contents fall to the floor. The dismembered hand that belonged to one of the thieves lay on the cold stone.

"What kind of game is this? You are in the habit of giving people severed hands" Lord Von Dane asked incredulously.

"I am not. In this instance, however, I felt I must. You see this hand was taken from one of the thieves killed in the attack on our guests yesterday. If you would be so kind as to observe the upper palm of the hand I believe it will clear up any confusion you may have." I said in an almost uninterested manner. The hand had already begun to decompose despite being kept cool. The tattoo of the crescent moon and stars were still apparent and stood out in contrast to the whiteness of the hand.

Lord Von Dane scrutinized the hand for a moment and then looked at me. His only reply was in a curious tone. "I see."