Chapter 10: The Falling Out

"Whatever do you mean?" I was having a hard time following Lord Von Dane's words and wondered what he was implying.

He seemed to ignore my question and wandered over to the lily pond. He clasped his hands behind his back and was silent for a moment. When he turned, he said.

"Has anyone ever informed you of the nature of the animosity that has existed between our families?" He finally asked.

I swallowed, not sure why he was bringing this up. "I have not been informed of specifics; I only know that at one time our fathers were friends and a tragedy occurred that turned your father against mine."

"You may or may not remember him, but I had an older brother named Peter. He was quite my father's favorite. During the great wars each household was expected to have at least one son enlist, my father feared his eldest would not come back to him. You see, my brother was eager to prove himself a great warrior and couldn't wait for his chance to fight.

"Your father was his commanding officer during the war--which was my father's only consolation." He paused for a moment. "When Peter was killed my father's grief was more than he could bear and consequently, he felt he needed someone to blame for his son's death. Alas..."

"He blamed my father." I supplied in a solemn tone.

"Yes."

"Why are you telling me all of this?" I wanted to know.

"Because I believe it is time to bury the proverbial hatchet as it were. Your father was already making attempts to do just that when he disappeared." He glanced my way to see my reaction. "My father, for some time now, has let go of his bitterness. After my father confided this to me, I went to the Baron in my father's place."

It appeared that Lord Von Dane's Reverie by the pond was finished, for he walked back to where I stood.

I tried to process everything he was saying and held onto Genevieve's bridal for support. Closing my eyes I spoke, "If he wished to reconcile their differences why would he not go to my father himself?"

"My father for some time now has been battling a terrible infection in his leg that has been rather debilitating. In fact he has been bed ridden for the last few months. I have taken over many of my father's responsibilities." He admitted.

"There must be some comfort in knowing he has another son despite his loss?" I commented. He shrugged his shoulders but said nothing. I could feel myself lowering my guard and the seeds of understanding beginning to take root. I found it quite telling that not once had he mentioned how he had felt about losing his older brother. What was it he had said about Peter being his father's favorite? Still not knowing if I could completely trust the man, I wondered if I could urge him to reveal his own emotions about Peter and his father's apparent preference for him.

Remembering my bow still clutched in my hand, I moved to my saddle bags and secured the bow in place. Turning I looked at Lord Von Dane over my shoulder and commented. "I suppose you know how I feel. I miss my brother terribly; I really looked up to him."

"My brother and I were not close like that. As the future earl, he had responsibilities and duties to learn and that left little time for bonding with a younger brother. And he was several years older than I. We simply didn't have anything in common." He must have sensed my sympathy for he continued. "Do not feel pity for me, even though my father was more interested in my brother, I have always been my mother's favorite." His attempt at making light of the situation seemed to make his disappointment more pronounced.

"There were advantages to being the second son, you now. I had a lot more freedom to wonder about and make all sorts of trouble."

A memory from my childhood suddenly came to mind. I couldn't have been more than eight years old. Lady Von Dane and my mother were sitting on a stone bench in our garden together. I ran to my mother in tears, but why had I been crying? I seemed to drift back into the memory.

"Mother, you must scold Freddy and Edric" I cried, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"My dear, why is that?" My mother asked patiently.

I sniffed. "They were climbing the big apple tree and I wanted to climb it as well. They said only if I was tall enough to reach the first branch or else I was to little to do it. I couldn't reach it, so I found a log and rolled it over to the tree. I stood on it and then I could reach the branch. They still wouldn't let me climb it. It's not fair!" I cried in her lap.

My mother laughed, "Oh my dear, I imagine they didn't want you to get hurt. It isn't safe for a young girl your age to climb big trees. Not to mention it's not becoming of a young lady to do such things."

"But I can climb trees as well as they can. And why do I have to be a lady all of the time? Don't I get to have any fun?" I declared.

"Thea has a point Gwen," Lady Von Dane laughed. "A girl ought to have a little fun every now and again. That was quite inventive of her to think of finding a log to make her taller." I sniffed and looked at Lady Von Dane, appreciative of her support.

My mother inquired. "Is that what you wish me to scold the boys over, then?" My mother smoothed my hair back lovingly.

"Yes, and after that they said I was a baby and should find someone else to bother."

"We will tell them not to tease you like that anymore. Now why don't you go see what cook is making my dear? She always has a yummy tart or something to eat.

"If she does, be sure to bring us a tart as well, won't you darling. And don't you worry, I will be sure to remind my son how he is to treat a lady." Lady Von Dane encouraged sweetly.

Sadly that was the last time we would see Lady Von Dane or Edric. It must have been shortly after, that Peter had been killed and the earl and my father had their falling out.

Coming back to the moment, I noticed Lord Von Dane giving me a curious look. He must have noticed I was lost in my own thoughts and waited patiently for me to say something.

"I remember you and your mother visiting when I was little. You weren't very nice, but your mother was splendid. I see you didn't inherit her charming personality." I said trying to cover my embarrassment for my brief reverie.

To my surprise Lord Von Dane, or Edric, laughed long and loud holding on to his knees for support. I couldn't imagine why he found what I said so amusing. When he eventually sobered enough to peak, he said. "I see you haven't changed one bit, cheeky as ever!" I frowned, not appreciating his mirth at my expense.

Edric whistled and a fine dark gelding emerged from the trees and came to a halt in front of him. Edric in a gallant gesture bowed, "I bid you adieu my lady. The hour is getting late and I do not wish to keep you after popping in on you so unexpectedly." He spoke with exaggerated gallantry after my insinuation that he lacked any charm. His expression was serious but his eyes laughed at me. He was gone as suddenly as he had appeared. I was left standing in bewilderment not knowing what to think. Why were men so vexing and unpredictable?

\